You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Should I buy a new MacBook?

I usually use Xcode, VScode, Roblox Studio, and many more programming and game development apps. I have a 9 year old MacBook Air Monterey (early 2015, 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, non-retina 13-inch display), and lately it has been saying service recommended in my battery tab. My MacBook runs drastically slower, so should I replace it with a new MacBook? And If so, which one?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 2:09 PM

1 reply

Oct 21, 2024 2:28 PM in response to TheGreatestManOfAllTime

Replacing the battery in your 2015 MacBook Air will cost $159 US per Apple's estimate. Whether it's worth it to put that much into a now-obsolete Mac is up to you, though I'd be very hesitant to do so if it were me. I'm hanging on with my 2015 iMac waiting for a new generation of Mac desktops but would not put money into repairing this old system should the need arise. I definitely plan to move to a newer system, though, as Apple no longer will support systems from 2015 for most repairs.

As to what to replace it with, even an M1 MacBook Air, still available through Apple's Refurbished store, would run rings around your old MBA, and a new M3 Air would stomp it in many functions, though programming until you get to compiling isn't generally very resource-intensive. Graphics are, of course, more so.

What is best for needs depends on many factors, your budget probably uppermost. A new (or newer) Air would probably work for you, given that you've been using a nine-year-old model and apparently satisfied up until recently. If budget allows, then you can consider a MacBook Pro which can be pushed harder than an Air due to the better cooling in the Pro (plus additional ports and such in some models). Whatever you choose, get as much RAM as your budget allows. RAM can't be expanded afterwards, but you can always add external storage if budget is tight.

Others here will probably chime in with opinions.

Regards.

Should I buy a new MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.