You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Moving iPod music to another iPod without PC

I have an iPod on which I have stored music, either purchased or ripped from cd, via iTunes using a pc. Unfortunately the iPod is full and I want to transfer the music to one with a larger capacity and I no longer have access to a pc running iTunes. Is there a simple method to transfer?

iPod touch

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 10:12 AM

1 reply

Oct 21, 2024 10:34 AM in response to bayardm

Unfortunately not.

Even iTunes does not have a method to copy music from an iPod back into iTunes. While there are third-party programmes that can recover music from an iPod, they have their limitations (most offer limited free recovery, after which you need to pay). For more information on this, read this tip from fellow user turingtest 2: Recover your iTunes library from your iPo… - Apple Community.

If you go that far and manage to recover your music, you would still need iTunes on a PC, or if you're using a newer Mac, Finder, to add that music to another iPod.

If you do not have a backup of your music and the methods listed by turingtest2 are not to your liking (i.e. for whatever reason, you cannot make use of any of them), your other option is to begin re-building your music from the original sources. However, even this may require the use of a computer, although not necessarily one with iTunes or Finder. But, as above, you would need one of those applications in order to add the music to another iPod.

To re-build your library from scratch, for music obtained from:

• purchases, either from the iTunes Store, Amazon, Bandcamp or any other online store, go to your account with that store and re-download the music. You may be able to do this directly from your iPod (I have never attempted it this way as I still use iTunes.)
    • artist websites etc., go back to that site and see whether it can still be downloaded
    • your CDs, re-copy from the CD. If you no longer have the CD, it might be possible to buy the missing music as online digital downloads. There's no guarantee that this will be possible

Whatever you do, find a method to back up the music that you have paid for, so that the next time you have a similar issue, it will be a simpler process to recover your music. Keep that back up up to date.

Moving iPod music to another iPod without PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.