You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Solution to macOS Public Wi-Fi Connection Issues

I've noticed many discussions about difficulties connecting to public wifi networks on macOS, especially those that require a login or confirmation page before granting access (common in coffee shops, hotels, etc.). I have personally faced this issue, and after much frustration, I've discovered a solution that consistently works:

1. Open Finder
  2. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Captive Network Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS
  3. Double-click on Captive Network Assistant. This will execute a terminal command.
  4. Connect to the wifi network

I've had no issues connecting to any public networks since doing this. The Captive Network Assistant helps prompt the login or confirmation page that is often required by public wifi networks. Other troubleshooting methods I've tried (with mixed results):

• Copying the network's gateway IP:
    • Find the gateway IP address (usually something like 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1) and paste it into your browser's address bar.
  • Opening captive.apple.com in Safari:
    • This can sometimes trigger the captive portal login page.
  • Flushing DNS cache via Terminal:
sudo dscacheutil -flushcache; sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder 
  • Rebooting:
    • Sometimes a simple restart can resolve connectivity issues.

I hope this helps anyone who has experienced the same. If you have other solutions or suggestions, please share them!

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 9:42 AM

There are no replies.

Solution to macOS Public Wi-Fi Connection Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.