You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Attention Awareness is on but that isn’t even an option?

I have an iPad 9th gen on OS 16.1. There is no area to toggle Face ID or attention awareness but all my media seems to pause when I look away. I DO NOT want Face ID or attention awareness. I really prefer not to update to OS 18 since I don’t want the new features. How do I turn this off? It feels like I’ve looked in every setting!

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 9:35 AM

2 replies

Oct 21, 2024 10:07 AM in response to APPdeAPP

The iPad9 features TouchID - not FaceID. As such, Attention Aware is not a feature of iPad9.

The only iPad models that have FaceID and associated features are recent models of iPad Pro. Assuming that your iPad model supports FaceID, are you suggesting that the Attention Aware switch is missing from iPad settings?

Settings > FaceID & Passcode > Attention Aware-Features

Oct 21, 2024 10:16 AM in response to LotusPilot

Apologies, I meant to mention that the only instructions I can find to turn off Attention Aware seem to be under the Face ID menu. Neither attention aware or Face ID show up as options, but it appears that my iPad 9th gen OS 16 is using Attention Aware? Which is really confusing since, like you said, it shouldn’t have this feature. All of my media is pausing when I look away from my screen. It mentions Face ID in OS 18 in my menu as an option to update to which I do not want. Hopefully I was a little more clear this time haha

Attention Awareness is on but that isn’t even an option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.