You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I want my e-mail address back! aka How to re-add a formerly deleted e-mail address to a custom domain on iCloud?

I successfully created a custom e-mail domain on icloud. Everything worked, until I decided to move info@customdomain.nl from iCloud family member A to B. After I deleted info@customdomain.nl from user A, there is no way to get it back. The error response is: host mx01.mail.icloud.com[IP#] said: 550 5.1.6 user no longer on system.

How do I get my e-mail address back??

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 7:40 AM

4 replies

Oct 21, 2024 7:49 AM in response to StephanSt

“Can I use the primary email address for my deleted Apple Account to create a new Apple Account or with another existing Apple Account?

No, once your Apple Account is deleted, you can’t use the email address that you used with it to create a new Apple Account for as long as Apple retains the one-way hash of the email address. For third-party (non-Apple) domain accounts, the one-way hash is deleted after six years. For other accounts, this is retained according to Apple's retention policy, which is reviewed regularly. In addition, you can’t use that email address with another existing Apple Account except as a rescue email. Also, if your primary Apple Account email address is with a Custom Email Domain, it can never be reused to create an Apple Account after your Apple Account is deleted, even if the domain ownership changes.”

Oct 21, 2024 9:48 AM in response to StephanSt

Apple has some updated policies about account address usage in Change your Apple Account primary email address - Apple Support

I don't know if this is simply a matter of having to now wait 30 days, or if because it is a custom domain if that adds other issues. I suggest you contact Apple about this because frankly I am not remembering anybody who frequents this forum being an expert in custom domains (though I am happy to be surprised).

Refer to this page for Apple Support features ➔ Contact - Official Apple Support

Select from the presented options until you find a solution for your issue, or see if there is a chat or phone call contact method offered lower on the page (you sometimes have to narrow down the options multiple times before this is shown). If you do not see your issue, keep experimenting with any series of selections until you reach one that offers a chat session or a telephone call and get the representative to redirect you.

This support article has various country telephone numbers for contacting Apple for support and service ➔ Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Oct 21, 2024 8:29 AM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos, thanks for your swift response, but it is not an answer to my question. I did not delete my apple account. My question is about a deleted e-mail address I created under a custom domain in iCloud. I want that e-mail address back. The Apple mail server provides the error response, so I presume the apple mail server needs to be updated to re-authorize the address being used again. PS: I already removed the full domain from iCloud, and removed the related DNS records, and added it again. However, the icloud mail server keeps ‘remembering’ that the e-mail address is no longer on system hence apparently may not be used.

I want my e-mail address back! aka How to re-add a formerly deleted e-mail address to a custom domain on iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.