You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Optimized battery charging on Macbook Air M3

For those of you that leave your Mac 24/7 plugged and got Optimized battery charging working:

Do you daily disconnect when switching rooms? For example: working for a few hours (plugged) in your living room, then unplug for a few seconds to continue working (plugged) for a few hours in another room.

I want to know this because I'm considering leaving it 24/7 plugged but I can't leave my Mac static in 1 room. I'm also thinking about unplugging my Mac while sleeping.

What I want is that Optimized battery charging discharges from 100% to 80% while plugged even when I disconnect my Mac for a short time to switch rooms or disconnect for 8 hours while sleeping.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 5:48 AM

1 reply

Oct 21, 2024 6:21 AM in response to tploumen

Just plug in when you're near power, there's no need to micromanage the optimization. If you run plugged in most of the time, even if you run for a while on battery occasionally, your Mac will pause the charge at 80%. If you run on battery more often, it will charge to full until you run on AC mostly, i.e., it bases the optimization on your usage.

Optimized battery charging on Macbook Air M3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.