You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

MacBook's Startup Chime Sound cannot be modified at all!?

Hello MacBookers on the all planet,

I would very much like to change my Macbook's Air Startup Chime sound for an another!?

HELP!

In fact, the Mac startup sound (the famous *start-up chime*) is not stored in a simple audio file accessible in a system folder. This sound is integrated into the Mac's firmware, which means that it is part of the machine's hardware and cannot be changed via the usual system files.

On older Mac models, the *chime* (or startup gong) was stored in a more accessible way, but Apple made it unchangeable for security and reliability reasons. So there is no audio file with a name like "start-up chime" that you could find in an operating system folder, even if you explore the system files in macOS.

If you are looking for accessible system sound files, you can explore the following directory: ``` /System/Library/Sounds/ ``` However, this folder only contains system sounds such as alerts and notifications, not the Mac startup sound.

In short, there is no editable audio file for the startup sound in recent versions of macOS.

Please submit your ideas on how to access the startup sound file in the FIRMWARE (EFI) of my MacBook Air (Early 2015)

🤔👨‍💻⁉️

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 4:02 AM

3 replies

Oct 21, 2024 6:27 AM in response to Legendarioid

Legendarioid wrote:

Nope, you can't, probably 99% of people have no idea how to do it without an extremely high level of knowledge to play with the mac firmware and even more unlikely that a regular user would be able to follow the steps to achieve it if it were possible.

It's not simply a question of knowledge. It's on the sealed volume.

MacBook's Startup Chime Sound cannot be modified at all!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.