You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Macbook Air M3-Two Apple Thunderbolt Displays-one display turns off randomly-SOLVED

I've used an Apple Thunderbolt Display (#1) since buying it new in 2013. On several USB-C macBooks I used the Apple Thunderbolt-USB-C adapter.

In October 2024 I bought another Apple Thunderbolt Display (#2) used on Facebook Marketplace. The Apple Store told me I needed two Apple Thunderbolt-USB C Adapters to connect both monitors, so I bought a second adapter, and connected each display to the Macbook Air M3 through its own Thunderbolt adapter.

For one eight-hour day #1 and #2 worked perfectly, through multiple Zoom calls and YouTube sessions. On the second day, #2 started shutting off randomly. I swapped all combinations of monitor-adapter-port, confirming that the problem was with #2. I shot a 17-minute video on my iPhone showing #2 shutting off multiple times.

Then I connected #2 to the Thunderbolt port on the back of #1 using a stand-alone Thunderbolt cable. Problem solved. I have two separate displays with separate content, NOT mirrored. Apparently there is a problem with the Thunderbolt connection/chip on the built-in cable on #2. Wondering if the party that sold it to me knew this....

Problem SOLVED.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 21, 2024 12:25 AM

1 reply

Oct 21, 2024 4:26 AM in response to DaveMill

Bad and flaky "hydra" cables seem to be a reasonably common issue with those old Thunderbolt Displays. As you have discovered, you may be able to work around this by plugging a Thunderbolt 1/2 cable into the daisy-chaining port on the affected display – leaving the permanently-attached cable unused.

If at least one of the Thunderbolt Displays had a working "hydra" cable, and you had a Mac which could drive two external displays with the lid open, you might have been able to get away with using a single Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and daisy-chaining the displays.

Mac --- Adapter --- Display #1 (with working hydra cable) --- Display #2

Macbook Air M3-Two Apple Thunderbolt Displays-one display turns off randomly-SOLVED

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.