You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Recover voice memos from deleted iCould data

I was trying to clear up room in my iCloud storage, so I deleted the backup data from an old phone.

Now all my voice memos are gone, including an interview I did Friday I need for a project I am working on.

Voice mails, notes from Notes app, text messages, e-mails... all that stuff is still there. But my voice memo recordings are completely gone.

There is nothing in the "recently deleted" folder. There isn't even a recently deleted folder available. I went to iCould.com and clicked on "recover data" and it was useless. Looks like that's just for bookmarks, calendar and contacts.

This just happened today, and I have seen some places it's possible to recver within 30 days, so I am hoping that is the case.

iPhone 16 Pro, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 20, 2024 9:05 PM

2 replies

Oct 20, 2024 9:26 PM in response to Nathan1124

"Recover voice memos from deleted iCould data: I was trying to clear up room in my iCloud storage, so I deleted the backup data from an old phone. [...]This just happened today, and I have seen some places it's possible to recver within 30 days, so I am hoping that is the case. "

-------

Troubleshooting Lock Voice Memos:

A. Was Messages Enabled in iCould?:

1. Go Here: About Missing Information After you Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch with iCloud Backup - Apple Support
  2. Scroll To: About your Messages and Voice Memos Data
  3. As it Reads: If you turn off Messages in iCloud, your text messages and attachments no longer uploaded automatically [to iCloud]

B. To Enable Messages:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: [Your Name] (Top Item)
  3. Tap: iCloud (Fourth Item-Down) (Screenshot 1)
  4. Tap: Messages (So it is Green) (Seventh Item-Down) (Screenshot 2)

And for future reference...

Safely Clearing iCloud Storage:

One unique method...

Download All of iCloud:

One thought would be to download all of iCloud, and then search through it in Finder on a Mac. You would download it to an external drive, and then open the drive in Finder. Search through it using the search bar on the top-right corner of the Finder window. Once found, you can trash what's iCloud using FinderUse my user tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

Oct 21, 2024 1:40 AM in response to Nathan1124

Deleting a backup will not affect the device, it only erases the backup that you made in iCloud.

if however you deleted and removed your voice memo data from within settings, all data will be erased for memos permanently.

if you deleted from within the app, you would receive notification that items are moved to recently deleted for up to 30 days.

if you deleted synced memos using another device, that deletion is synced through iCloud. (If you sync memos in icloud)

Recover voice memos from deleted iCould data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.