You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Related Article: About AirPrint

Why my Non-HP cartridge won't work with AirPrint?

Non ho cartridge rejection due to firmware

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 12:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 7:53 PM

This is unrelated to AirPrint.

Among other reports of HP policies around third-party printing supplies:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/customers-fume-as-hp-blocks-third-party-ink-from-more-of-its-printers/

For questions or concerns about HP printers, please contact HP Support.

Local printer preference is Brother, though I do use Brother cartridges.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2024 7:53 PM in response to Walkergang54

This is unrelated to AirPrint.

Among other reports of HP policies around third-party printing supplies:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/03/customers-fume-as-hp-blocks-third-party-ink-from-more-of-its-printers/

For questions or concerns about HP printers, please contact HP Support.

Local printer preference is Brother, though I do use Brother cartridges.

Oct 20, 2024 4:54 PM in response to Walkergang54

Walkergang54 wrote:

Thank you for the article. I can buy a new printer for the price of a new set of cartridges. By the way my printer is a HP Office Jet 9015.

You probably won’t acquire full cartridges with that new printer. They’ll probably be part-full cartridges.

Features, considerations, and costs for buying new are discussed here: Which Printer Should I Buy? - Apple Community

Last HP printer rolled out of here a few years back.

Oct 20, 2024 4:13 PM in response to Walkergang54

Yes, HP strategy is to sell their printers relatively cheaply, but keep the price of replacement cartridges fairly high to make up for the loss. Not much different than razor manufacturers with their razor blades.

FWIW, I currently have an HP OfficeJet and find that HP has become more "strict" on what replacement cartridges you can use. For some time now, they have placed "chips" in their cartridges to verify their authenticity, which renders using most third-party cartridges useless ... or at least, problematic.

Oct 20, 2024 5:30 PM in response to Walkergang54

I switched from HP to Brother (AirPrint capable) printer. I’ve owned 4 HP printers. 1 inkjet, and 4 laser printers.

These were all before HP started adding firmware to their ink and toner cartridges.

The inkjet was just too expensive to operate, and we kept running out of black, or the ink would dry and clog the jets.

The laser were better and lasted a long time, and as they were pre-firmware in the toner cartridges, we were able to get less expensive expendables.

But when the previous HP laser printer died after 12 years, I went with a Brother multi-function laser printer, AirPrint capable, and I have been using 3rd party toner cartridges. It has been working very well. Because of AirPrint, it setup easily, not vendor drivers were installed, and it works from all the Macs, iPhones and iPads in the house.

Why my Non-HP cartridge won't work with AirPrint?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.