You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

FaceTime & iMessage won't activate even after 1 year of SIM swap

Last year i travelled and switched my physical sim abroad and activated FaceTime on it.

Upon returning home, I put my primary SIM back in the slot, but then FaceTime wouldn't activate and kept saying unsuccessful.

I have tried:

• Updating IOS
  • Adding credit to my sim
  • Upgrading to a new phone
  • Changing the physical sim with another identical one (same network, same number)

It's been a year now and I'm a green bubble to others who have my number, and they cant reach me on FaceTime anymore unless they have my email too. This is driving me crazy help please.

Non US btw

iPhone 13, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 1:30 AM

1 reply

Oct 19, 2024 6:25 PM in response to iiShaqii

Re: FaceTime & iMessage won't activate even after 1 year of SIM swap

See what to do: If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime on your iPhone - Apple Support

You may want to work through the trouble-shooting steps in Apple support's online article (link below):

See what to do: If you can't make or receive a FaceTime call on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you still need help:

Wondering if you are using wi-fi for the internet ok, or if you depend upon cellular data.

and ...

whether you have have browsed through Apple Support's newest online article on how to:

Use FaceTime with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Eg: says: "You can use FaceTime over Wi-Fi (1) You can use FaceTime on any of these devices on Wi-Fi: iPhone 4 or later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad 2 or later, iPad mini (all models) and iPod touch 4th generation or later (only iPod touch 5th generation or later support FaceTime audio calling)

or

over mobile data on supported iOS or iPadOS devices. (2) With a mobile data plan, you can also use FaceTime without Wi-Fi on any of these devices: iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro (all models) and iPad (3rd generation or later).

Also says:

"Turn on FaceTime 

Open the FaceTime app and sign in to your Apple Account. You can also do this from Settings > Apps > FaceTime. 

If you’re using an iPhone, FaceTime will automatically register your phone number.

If you’re using an iPhone or iPad, you can register your email address:

1. Go to Settings > Apps.
  2. Tap FaceTime, then tap Use your Apple Account for FaceTime.
  3. Sign in to your Apple Account."

Re: Non US btw

FaceTime isn't available in all countries or regions.

Above article says: "FaceTime isn’t available or may not appear on devices purchased in United Arab Emirates. Group FaceTime and FaceTime Audio are not available in China mainland on iPhone and iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular) models".

If needed you can : Get help with FaceTime on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch in Saudi Arabia - Apple Support

FaceTime & iMessage won't activate even after 1 year of SIM swap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.