You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

SOCD Report Detected: ( iBoot Panic ) Macbook Pro M1 2021 A2442

I am facing an issue with my PC where it sometimes takes up to 8 hours to start. When it finally does, it works, but I always get an alert. Occasionally, I have to use the startup repair option to get it running. I have already formatted and updated the system with the latest OS five times, but the problem persists.

I visited an Apple service center, and they told me that the motherboard is damaged and needs to be replaced, which would cost around $650. However, if the motherboard is really damaged, how does the computer still work? I’ve checked online, and many others are experiencing the same issue, with Apple often recommending a motherboard replacement.

As an iOS developer under a lot of work pressure, I am frustrated with Apple's response and I’m not convinced that replacing the motherboard is the right solution. It seems like they aren’t able to properly address the issue.

Do you have any experience with this kind of problem? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 11:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2024 1:35 PM

Service the computer and replace the motherboard. Or take this as an opportunity to upgrade.

Sometimes panics aren't caused by HW failures - there could be incompatible devices on an external bus...but iBoot is the very start of the boot cycle. It is the second stage bootloader that builds the device tree and initializes all the devices. You have hardware issues.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2024 1:35 PM in response to HirenTank

Service the computer and replace the motherboard. Or take this as an opportunity to upgrade.

Sometimes panics aren't caused by HW failures - there could be incompatible devices on an external bus...but iBoot is the very start of the boot cycle. It is the second stage bootloader that builds the device tree and initializes all the devices. You have hardware issues.

Oct 20, 2024 1:48 PM in response to HirenTank

If you have your MBP up and running do the following;

1 - Please download and run Etrecheck.  The free version is sufficient.

Copy the report as shown in this animated screenshot

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

2 - download and run the free demo version of DriveDX and run it to check the health of the drive. It does sound like a failing drive but we need to test to be sure.

Oct 20, 2024 1:11 PM in response to HirenTank

Most of those people probably also have hardware issue - but hardware issues, especially if related to things like thermal fluctuation, can be tricky and intermittent. In any case, if "many" people out of 10's or 100's of thousands are having an issue - the issue is probably not the OS, but something specific to those "many", including you.

In any case, no skin off my nose if want to believe it is a software issue. Make a good backup or two. Try re-installing the OS. If that doesn't work, erase the entire disk and reinstall the OS. If that doesn't work...maybe go in and address your hardware issue.

SOCD Report Detected: ( iBoot Panic ) Macbook Pro M1 2021 A2442

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.