You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Is there a way to verify iMessage connectivity with different SIM cards?

So this is going to be a bit of Dr. Phil and possibly a tech issue (but I doubt it). I'm here in the US and met someone in Africa on a dating site. We chat via WhatsApp. For those that use this service, you know it's tied directly to your phone number, text app phone numbers won't work. So eventually her phone "broke" and with the iPhone 16 dropping last month, I decided to upgrade and send her my 3rd Gen iPhone SE (micro SIM based phone).

So my iPhone SE is now in Africa on Safari Comm, which by the way, supports iMessage according to the link Apple chat sent me. At any rate, here's my dilemma. She was iMessaging me via her Apple ID(on WIFI) and not her phone number. I inquired and she sent me a screenshot showing only her Apple ID for iMessage. I replied that there's no SIM installed and that's why it wasn't working. She said her SIM was installed. I've been an iPhone user since June 30, 2007 (the day after the first gen dropped), I knew she was lying. Eventually she sent another screenshot showing her phone number and Apple Id (I personally think she popped out the other SIM and inserted the phone number I have) for iMessage. She states that for the phone number, it's just a constant spinning wheel. Additionally, if a SIM is installed, I should be able to iMessage her Apple ID via cellular network but this wouldn't work either.

My gut tells me she's using multiple SIM's and doesn't want me to have the other number she's using with the iPhone I sent her, but I also had Apple support contact her to troubleshoot as relaying messages was a slow process. restarted network settings and that didn't resolve the issue either. Is there any other possibility that this is a tech issue and not just another sucker getting scammed by a foreigner?

Supposedly, she can use the phone with all functions except iMessage and FaceTime. Note that I can't iMessage even her Apple ID unless she's on WIFI....suspicious in my mind. Messages to her cell number are sent SMS, she's turned off RCS. Even the Apple senior advisor is baffled by this as they purportedly did a screen share with her and weren't able to resolve.

Any ideas?

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone SE (3rd generation)

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 9:36 PM

There are no replies.

Is there a way to verify iMessage connectivity with different SIM cards?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.