You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

My photos app crashes when searching

When trying to search ‘fire’ in my photos app, it instantly crashes the instant I type the i. If I type the r insanely fast after hitting the i, before anything has the chance to show in the results, I can successfully type the rest without it crashing. Why does this happen, and how do I fix it? So many words start with fi. It provides no messages it just instantly crashes to the Home Screen.

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 8:52 PM

6 replies

Oct 19, 2024 9:47 AM in response to SilverOranges

Try the following in order as needed;

1 - launch your library with the Option+Command keys held down and repair the library. Then test to see if the problem persists.

2 - boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 2 - 3 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

3 - as a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? If not then close the test library, open your primary library and test again.

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Oct 19, 2024 7:52 AM in response to Richard.Taylor

Same thing happens unfortunately, it just instantly crashes even if I put a space before the f. If I was a betting man I would bet it has something to do with one of the photos maybe having some corruption or something weird and when the search is showing that particular photo it crashes. I don’t know how to figure out which of my thousands of photos it is though.

Oct 20, 2024 6:30 AM in response to SilverOranges

Have you tried a forced restart?

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

You may be right about the corrupt file. Such files may also fail at zooming or editing or exporting, so you should keep an eye out for that. You could try airdropping or saving to files a hundred at a time to see if one of the groups causes a crash. Then narrow it down. You just have to decide how important it is to search for fishy fibbing fire fiascos, finally.

My photos app crashes when searching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.