You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Do not "start up automatically after a power failure."

Early this morning, the power went off in my house for several minutes. I have a 2017 iMac running Ventura, 13.7. I also have the first Mac mini using the M1 chip. A few days ago I upgraded it to the new Sequoia Mac OS. The Mac mini is my future replacement. I got it a couple years ago when I thought my iMac Fusion drive had died. It turned out that there was a restore procedure that brought it back to life. Anyway, both of them were in sleep mode when the power went out. I never select, "start up automatically after a power failure." Nevertheless, both of them booted up again when the power came back on. My cursory search found nothing about this issue. I've gone through all my settings carefully. I could not find anything that might override my choice.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have a solution for this problem? I don't like having to reboot my computers on a daily basis. I normally shut them down once a week, unless I had to restart them for some other reason. And the iMac is in my bedroom. When that screen comes on in the dark, it's like having a sunrise in your bedroom. Very annoying and disruptive.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 13.7

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 9:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 11:10 AM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

You can simulate the power outage by pulling the plug out of the wall socket to for a minute or so.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2024 11:10 AM in response to planetgazer

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

You can simulate the power outage by pulling the plug out of the wall socket to for a minute or so.

Do not "start up automatically after a power failure."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.