You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Right click in my Mac mouse shows up and disappears quickly

Every time that there is an update, there is a random setting that gets changed, and then I have to go crazy trying to change it back--it's very annoying. This time it has been the right click in my mouse. I use it to get the scroll-down menu of Copy, Paste, etc etc... But now, it shows up and disappears so quickly that I don't have time to choose what I want to do. Before the last update, two days ago, this wasn't happening at all. I have gone to settings, in Mouse, and fumbled around with the speed bars, but nothing seems to affect the speed for this menu to disappear. What do I have to do to change it back?

Thank you in advance.

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 12:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2024 2:30 AM

Looks like that might be a problem with your mouse. Maybe you have another mouse you can try, or if you have Macbook, try the touch pad, the context menu appears when you click (or tap) the touch pad with two fingers.

You can also open the context menu by holding CTRL and clicking the left mouse button, or holding CTRL and tapping the touch pad with one finger.

If any of that works reliably, the problem is most likely your mouse. You can test changing the batteries, or charging it fully if that is possible, otherwise would probably need to get a new mouse.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2024 2:30 AM in response to Volvoreta

Looks like that might be a problem with your mouse. Maybe you have another mouse you can try, or if you have Macbook, try the touch pad, the context menu appears when you click (or tap) the touch pad with two fingers.

You can also open the context menu by holding CTRL and clicking the left mouse button, or holding CTRL and tapping the touch pad with one finger.

If any of that works reliably, the problem is most likely your mouse. You can test changing the batteries, or charging it fully if that is possible, otherwise would probably need to get a new mouse.

Oct 18, 2024 10:36 AM in response to Volvoreta

If all else fails give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Oct 19, 2024 11:09 AM in response to Volvoreta

Thank you for all your suggestions. I will buy a new mouse just in case. The settings mentioned by PRP-53 are the settings I messed with trying to solve the problem, but unfortunately it didn't seem to work. I think that the update was called Sonoma, or something similar to that, but don't quote me on that.

The mouse is not a Mac mouse, it's a wireless one from another brand, that was working quite well before said updates. I've given it an extra charge, just in case, but I'll buy a new one.

The previous update messed up the YouTube settings--for some reason, that website looked humongous and couldn't change it back, so that it was even impossible to make the video feed fit my laptop screen. I didn't notice any changes anywhere else. That time I had ended up calling customer service and they fumbled with the settings. The guy who helped me out just said 'yep, it can happen' when I mentioned that I was blaming it on updates. I found it funny-I thought he was going to say 'There's no way that one thing has to do with another.' but nah, he just said, 'yep, it is possible..'

Right click in my Mac mouse shows up and disappears quickly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.