You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Extracting data from Numbers into a Calendar Event

I am creating a script to bring some data from a Numbers Table into my Calendars in order to quickly create meetings. I have the script working, however I am trying to streamline the process a little more as I keep receiving a small error that I have to dismiss. When the script is trying to read Column J it is receiving the error. I have a pop-up Menu for column J. The answers are either Yes or No. And I have it set to Start with Blank. I want the script to move on to the next row whenever it encounters either a No or that blank that it starts with. I receive the error and once I dismiss it moves on but again trying to avoid the error. The error is because of that Blank. It is not reading the blank correctly. How is the Blank that a pop-up menu read, since I have tried both having the script read as an empty value and also as a Blank. Below is a copy of my script for the Numbers portion. Again I have tried the script reading as "" instead of Blank and still produced the same results.

tell theTable

set rowCount to count rows

-- Start from row 2 to skip headers

if rowCount > 1 then

repeat with j from 2 to rowCount

try

set companyName to value of cell ("B" & j)

set shouldCreateEvent to value of cell ("J" & j) as string

set locationText to value of cell ("C" & j) as text

-- Check if company name exists, if not, end the script

if companyName is missing value or companyName is "" then

display dialog "No company name in row " & j & ". Ending script."

return

end if

-- Skip row if shouldCreateEvent is not set or set to default

if shouldCreateEvent is missing value or shouldCreateEvent is "" or shouldCreateEvent is "Blank" then

-- Optionally log or inform about the skip

-- display dialog "Row " & j & " skipped due to default or empty selection in column J."

nothing -- Continue to the next row

else if shouldCreateEvent is "Yes" then

set eventDescription to "Meeting with " & companyName & " at " & locationText

-- Prompt for date and time for each event

set eventStartDate to my promptForDateTime("Enter the start date and time for the event with " & companyName)

if eventStartDate is missing value then

display dialog "Event creation cancelled or invalid date entered. Skipping this event."

exit repeat

end if

set eventEndDate to eventStartDate + 30 * minutes -- Events are 30 minutes long

my addToCalendar(eventStartDate, eventEndDate, eventDescription, locationText)

else if shouldCreateEvent is not "No" then

display dialog "Unexpected value '" & shouldCreateEvent & "' at row " & j & ", column J, expected 'Yes', 'No', or 'Blank'. Skipping this row."

end if

on error errMsg number errNum

display dialog "Error at row " & j & " when fetching data: " & errMsg & " (Number: " & errNum & ")" buttons {"OK"} default button "OK"

return -- or continue if you want to skip only this row

end try

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 10:55 AM

2 replies

Extracting data from Numbers into a Calendar Event

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.