You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Photos app not importing from Canon EOS R7 after Sequoia Update

Before Sequoia update, I would plug in my camera and in Photos the camera would show up and I could import photos from the camera. After the update, the camera shows up under devices but when I click on it, it seems to start to populate the photos pane but after a second or so it disappears. And then shows up again under devices and the same thing keeps happening when I click on it. This is a M1 Mac mini macOS 15.0.1

Posted on Oct 17, 2024 8:22 AM

5 replies

Oct 17, 2024 1:53 PM in response to cmcc61

Try the following in order as needed:

1 - launch your library with the Option+Command keys held down and repair the library. The try importing from the camera again.

2 - as a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Test the import from your camera again. Does it? This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread. If successful close the test library, open your original library and try the camera import again.

3 - boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 2 - 3 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Note 2:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Oct 18, 2024 6:56 AM in response to cmcc61

Well I figured it out. I had saved some of the photos on the camera as HIF format. Using the Canon EOS Utility app I was able to download the photos to a folder on my Mac and then into Photos. I then deleted all off the camera and took a few more but saved as jpg. Photos was able to show the previews and import. I guess Photos has a problem with creating previews of .HIF files?

Thanks for all the replies.

Photos app not importing from Canon EOS R7 after Sequoia Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.