You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Messages are disappearing after upgrading to iPhone 16 Pro Max

I recently upgraded to the new model of the IPhone and did the transfer. On the new phone, my messages seem to disappear up to a certain date. For example, my messages from today and yesterday are all gone and the first messages I see when I scroll up are from September.

I have tried syncing messages on iCloud, rebooting and resetting my phone settings. All to no avail. Same thing seems to be happening to my girlfriend too who also upgraded to the new model.

also, when I receive a message from a saved contact, the notification arrives as “2 messages from maybe contact and contact”

would appreciate any help.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 16 Pro Max, iOS 18

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 11:09 PM

8 replies

Oct 17, 2024 11:18 AM in response to Kelvin_obazz

When I updated my iPhone 15 Pro Max with iOS18, I lost a lot of messages on my iPhone. I have my settings on my iphone, ipad, and two mac book air laptops set so that all of my messages are saved to my iCloud with the Keep Messages set to "Forever."

I have tried everything I can think if to resync so that the missing messages are restored, but nothing completely works. I have toggled the save messages to iCloud in the settings and resynced numerous times. Each time, some messages are restored, some are not. Some are restored and then disappear again later and I have to repeat the process to gain access to those texts again. Some are only partially restored. Sometimes the messages that are restored and ones that are not restored are inconsistent.

I tried resyncing one of my MacBook Air laptops, and it only partially syncs my messages as well, and the ones partially synced on my MacBook Air are inconsistent with the ones partially synced on my iPhone.

This is extremely aggravating.

Oct 17, 2024 3:44 PM in response to Kelvin_obazz

I’m having the same issue, all the messages after sept 12th seem to disappear for one contact, although they appear on my mac & ipad. everything i text after sept 12th seem to disappear and it only saves messages for today & yesterday. Can be an IOS 18 issue but its super annoying cause its only for one person i talk to regularly lol

Oct 17, 2024 4:17 PM in response to sarv29

I resynced again and discovered thousands of text in the recently deleted folder on my iPhone after the sync completed! Text that I never deleted. Same on my MacBook Air.

I recovered these “deleted” texts which largely, but still only partially, restored my text history. Still pieces missing and the parts missing are not the same on my phone as they are on the MacBook.

i have no idea why the sync function is dumping thousands of texts from multiple contacts into the recently deleted folder!

This is very screwed up. People are going to lose valuable information and crucial texts with this major flaw.

Oct 17, 2024 5:13 PM in response to Kelvin_obazz

I have two MacBook Air laptops, an iPad, and an iPhone. I just synced my messages on all of these devices with my iCloud and not a single device is the same. Deleted texts have reappeared, non-deleted texts have disappeared, and the texts that appear on each device are all different.

Does Apple monitor this community? This is ridiculous.

Messages are disappearing after upgrading to iPhone 16 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.