You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Macbook restarts for some reason

Hello, I hope someone can help me. so for some days after I updated my MacBook Air there is some problem. my Mac restarts randomly for some reason. so when it opens agains it shows that you Mac has closed randomly and them suddenly it shows do you want to report apple and I have done that many times but the problem occurs. is there some problem I went on google to see the problem it told me to check the activity monitor but to be honest I didn't understand anything there. I hope some one can help me out in this matter.

if anyone knows what should I do please update.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 5:45 PM

6 replies

Oct 21, 2024 8:12 PM in response to Mak180

That sounds like it may be a hardware issue with the laptop since that is odd behavior. Powering on and waking from sleep are two times when a hardware issue is more likely to show itself.

You can try creating a new macOS user account. Log out of your main user account, then log into the new user account. If you don't have the same issue, then the main user account has some type of problem.

You can try creating a new APFS volume (give it a unique name) and install macOS onto the new APFS volume. Boot into the clean macOS install on that new APFS volume and see how the laptop behaves. Do not install any third party software, and do not migrate anything from your old OS installation. If the laptop does not have any problems, then something with the old OS is causing the problem. If you want to delete the new OS, then first boot back into your old OS & change the default Startup Disk to the old OS before deleting the new APFS volume.

I see you are not using Time Machine to back up this laptop. I hope you are backing up your data using some other method. There are a lot of new ways to permanently lose access to the data on the internal SSD due to all the hardware, software, and security changes of the recent Macs. Without a good backup, you are unlikely to ever recover any data when a problem occurs.

Oct 21, 2024 7:42 PM in response to Mak180

The Kernel Panics shown in the EtreCheck report are related to a display issue. Could be an external display or some externally connected device which has a video connector on it (or has firmware to allow USB-C display connections).

DCP == Display Co-Processor

DPTX == Display Port Transmit/Transmission (aka the TX part).

The system provide power to a device, but that device did not respond (or respond correctly).

The Kernel Panics on these M-series Macs are still difficult to fully understand them since they are so different from the Kernel Panics of the Intel Macs. We are still learning about the M-series Macs' hardware.

The SMART KOD OOD software may be part of the problem as well. It appears to be an app for the iPad. Reviews for it are very poor and there were reports it won't work on an iPhone. With those kinds of reviews who knows how it will behave on macOS where it was never intended to be run.

Oct 21, 2024 7:49 PM in response to HWTech

Thank you so much for the reply i am very grateful. The issue is when my mac goes to sleep and i press the power button it restarts, which i notice today however if that is not the case or i press space and then do the touch id it works fine. Bug when it does restart it shows to report to apple which i have done alot i mean alot. So i was very confused. I still am. But can you tell what i should do.

thank you so much for the message and a quick reply.

Macbook restarts for some reason

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.