You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPhone 14 randomly deleted all downloaded podcasts - Is this reversible?

Hello all.

My iPhone 14 (iOS 17.6.1) seems to have randomly deleted all podcasts I downloaded directly to the device via Apple Podcasts. I've been using the device as if it were an iPod, so we're talking hundreds of episodes of various podcasts.

Initially, I looked at the phone settings and based on the space availability it looked like the files might still be on the phone, just not appearing in my podcast library. However, shortly after that I checked again and suddenly there was a lot more available space, which makes the deletion look fairly final, which is very disappointing, given that even if I was to look to download all those various episodes again, many have long since fallen off public feeds.

I suppose a couple of questions arise for me here:

• Is there any possible way to retrieve those files without going back into Apple Podcasts and re-downloading those still available one by one?
  • And on a broader level, can I trust that this was just a random glitch and won't happen again? As things stand, I've kind of lost faith in the device.

On a related point, it's no longer asking me for my passcode when I power the device on or bring the screen "alive". I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case before this morning and hard to believe it's a coincidence. Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks in advance!

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 16, 2024 1:28 AM

1 reply

Oct 16, 2024 1:57 AM in response to MB_1974

Some additional information that might be helpful... I'm wondering now if I might have accidentally caused the wipe myself. Basically, the device was behaving slightly "glitchily" yesterday, nothing major, but it wouldn't power down when I pressed the power icon on the right hand side. So, eventually, I pressed one or both of the volume buttons in conjunction with the power icon, as I had a vague memory maybe from an earlier device that that might "force" it top shut down and then the glitch would have resolved when I restarted.

I honestly don't recall if I pressed one or both volume buttons at the time. Also, I had no reason to check my Podcast library after restarting, so I don't know for sure if the deletion happened then, but I'm wondering if it's too much of a coincidence to be a coincidence. Also, if i accidentally wiped the phone, would then explain why it's not asking me for a passcode?

iPhone 14 randomly deleted all downloaded podcasts - Is this reversible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.