You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Need an external optical drive compatible with new Orange iMac 2024

I need an external optical drive that is 100% compatible with my new Orange iMac 2024. It would be even better if it were also compatible with my old iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010). Is there such a product available? Apple brand preferred but not required. An Apple USB Super Drive was recommended at the Apple Store but too many reviews online declare that not to be true. Thanks for your answer.

iMac 21.5″

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 1:36 PM

3 replies

Oct 15, 2024 4:16 PM in response to MapSkraps

You would be hard to find a better optical drive and price that this OWC (MacSales.com) drive at the current sale price; 24X OWC Mercury ProSuper-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive with M-DISC Support. It's only $5 more than an Apple SuperDrive and much more capable. Being self powered it can run from any dock or hub. Also having a drawer loader it's less prone to jamming.

I've had an earlier version of it for several years for burning audiobooks and it has performed flawlessly and fast.

Oct 15, 2024 1:52 PM in response to MapSkraps

If you must have an Apple-brand drive, get the Apple USB Superdrive and an Apple USB-C to USB adapter. (The USB SuperDrive has a reputation for being picky about power, and so might not work if connected to a third-party dock or hub.)

There are many third-party bus-powered drives, some of which are much cheaper, but some of those tie up two USB ports. (The drive transfers data over one, and sucks power from both.)

I picked up one of these for my Mac.

Other World Computing – 24X OWC Mercury Pro Super-Multi DVD/CD Burner/Reader External Optical Drive with M-DISC Support

This drive has its own power supply, so it doesn't need to be connected directly to your Mac. You can plug it into a USB 3.0 (or better) port on a dock or hub. The included USB-A to USB 3.0 B cable is very short, but since it is not permanently attached to the drive, it is easy to replace it with a longer USB-A to USB 3.0 B or USB-C to USB 3.0 B cable from a place like Amazon.

Need an external optical drive compatible with new Orange iMac 2024

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.