You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Photos not able to correctly display imported HDR photos after syncing

If I create HDR photos in Lightroom from RAW files, I can do that with or without ISO gain maps. Files without maps (either in AVIF or JPEG XL version) do not sync properly: they tend to exhibit banding or other artefacts on devices different from the one where the photo was imported.

Additionally, Photos on Mac is incapable of properly rendering such files on SDR displays.

Files with ISO gain maps (introduced in Lightroom yesterday) also do not sync properly. All other devices except the one where they were imported into Photos display SDR rendering, even on HDR displays. Interestingly, if I try to edit such an image, during the editing, it displays the correct HDR version if I edit on an iPhone or iPad Pro (with HDR display). However, the HDR effect is immediately disabled again after saving the photo.

Interestingly, desktop Photos handle them better than HDR files without ISO maps: if the file was imported on the desktop, Photos correctly renders it on both SDR and HDR displays. Like other devices, Photos always renders the SDR version of the photo if it was synced through iCloud Library.

I wonder if others observe similar bugs and if anyone finds any workaround.

Posted on Oct 15, 2024 1:02 PM

There are no replies.

Photos not able to correctly display imported HDR photos after syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.