You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

airdrop on iphone shows macbook pro icon instead of macbook air icon

I have a 13-inch MacBook Air 2017 running macOS Monterey. I airdrop some photos regularly from my iPhone 6s running 15.8.2 to it, but one weird thing is that the icon shown on my iPhone for my Mac is a MacBook Pro running OS Catalina, instead of my 2017 MacBook Air running Monterey. Should I just disregard this or should I take this as a major issue? If it is an issue, please tell me what to do.

Also, when I go to check coverage Apple, it just, says my Mac is a MacBook Air 13", and not a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017) Is this normal?

But more importantly if you don't know about the second question just help me with the airdrop issue please. I have an OCD for these things and I feel that some things should be perfect.

Thank you

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on Oct 13, 2024 7:30 AM

2 replies

Oct 13, 2024 1:47 PM in response to HerefordBull

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 2 - 3 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

If this doesn't correct the icon and the AirDrop works OK just try the old adage: if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Oct 13, 2024 11:15 PM in response to Old Toad

Hello,

I tried reinstalling macOS, because I don't think the problem is that severe, but despite this it shows the same icon. Does that mean it's normal and I don't need to worry. If yes, is there a way I can change it because I don't like the icons anyway? I'd rather have an icon of my preference rather than something that shows a boring icon of a Mac?. I tried Contact Card, Apple ID and Users and Groups Card but it shows the same icon on my iPhone

Thank you

airdrop on iphone shows macbook pro icon instead of macbook air icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.