You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why won't Pages open on my MacBook Pro?

I have been using the Pages app on my MacBook Pro for years and just two days ago I tried to open the app to edit a document and it wont open. I have been working on it for two days. I removed the app and reloaded it, restarted my computer, made sure everything was updated. Please help!! I work with clients and all my documents are in there and I cant access them!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 7:53 PM

11 replies

Oct 13, 2024 1:51 PM in response to KarenRDH

Pages v14.2 requires macOS Sonoma 14.0 or later. Are you using any anti-virus product, or attempting to open the Pages application from other than the /Applications folder on your macOS startup drive? Apple Silicon, or Intel architecture Mac?

You could also try booting into Safe Boot mode and see if Pages properly launches there, either during safe mode or afterward following a normal reboot.

No small comfort that I cannot reproduce this issue that did not occur on my Sonoma 14.6.1/14.7, or Sequoia v15/v15.0.1

Oct 14, 2024 5:32 AM in response to KarenRDH

When you boot your Mac in Safe Boot mode, no third-party drivers are loaded in the operating system, and your observation that Pages now works in that boot mode suggests a couple of possibilities:

1. There was something in the operating system caches that was causing the issue that safe boot mode cleared, or the font database may have been corrupted and this boot mode rebuilds it.
  2. You have installed software at some point that interferes with the normal operation of Pages when in normal boot mode.

Perform a regular reboot of your Mac from Safe Boot mode and see if Pages behaves normally. If it does, it is the first issue above. If it fails to launch, something is still interfering with it.

Oct 15, 2024 3:49 AM in response to KarenRDH

Based on your success with Pages working in safe boot mode, that tells me you have something installed from a third-party vendor that does not load in that boot mode but does during a regular boot, and that is interfering with the normal operation of Pages v14.2.

I asked this before, and you did not confirm — do you have any anti-virus or so-called Mac "cleaning" applications installed that were present before the upgrade to Sequoia and Pages v14.2? If you do, these should be removed per the vendor's instructions, followed by a reboot of your Mac. Then test Pages again.

Why won't Pages open on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.