You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How to stop Pages from making multiple copies of the same document

This is making me crazy. Every time I edit a document, Pages makes a copy instead of just saving what I edited. So I end up having a single document with Copy 2, Copy 3, Copy 4, etc. ad nauseam. These copies are multiplying like the brooms in The Sorcerer's Apprentice! And I can find no way to make it stop -- I need a Master Sorcerer.

I generally leave a document open but minimized in the dock if I edit it frequently (like an agenda), so the dock is now crowded with copies. I'm not using the Cloud at all and I have no docs there.

I saw a question about this answered by Apple Support like 6 years ago, and I couldn't make sense of it. All I want is to shut that process down and have Pages make and save changes without making copies.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 7:09 PM

3 replies

Oct 13, 2024 1:19 AM in response to william98

Create a new Pages document. Manually save it and give it a different name than Untitled.pages. At this point, Pages autosave and versioning are enabled and will save any subsequent content you enter into the document without a need to manually press cmd+S to save it. Some non-Apple filesystems may not support autosave/versioning and Pages will present a dialog to that effect.

Pages will append Copy, Copy 2, … Copy n to the filename when one duplicates and manually saves an original document in the same filesystem location. I never have encountered this generation numbering of Pages documents because I never use the duplicate feature from the file menu.

More info: Pages User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Oct 13, 2024 11:22 AM in response to william98

A manual save via cmd+S should do just that and not duplicate the document. I rarely do manual saves anymore as I save the new Pages document once (manually) before I enter any content. Then, autosave works across Pages sessions on the same document. Pages is not a Word clone by any stretch of the imagination.

I also use an external drive for Time Machine backups.

Oct 13, 2024 11:10 AM in response to VikingOSX

You mean the problem was my manually saving each time I edited the doc? Who knew? I'm new to Pages and much of it seems similar to Word, and with Word I got in the habit of hitting Command-S. Habit in need of breaking. (I had Word 2011 for Mac, which stopped working with OS updates -- maybe Word now has autosave too? No matter -- never using Microsoft again)

Anyway, it seems to have worked -- I c&p'd the doc into a new one, saved it with a new name. Then I did a test edit without saving, closed it, reopened it, and the edit was saved.

So thank you VERY much! Now if I can just remember to not manually save...

How to stop Pages from making multiple copies of the same document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.