You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

is this malware? my 2017 15 macbook pro at startup shows a rectangle with a message that it can

At startup I first get a request to choose a WiFi network. The next screen is a rectangle with the message “can’be used until a critical update is installed”. In safe mode there are no updates outstanding. At the top there is a yellow triangle with what appears to a tuxedoed torso on the right side. At shutdown the previous night no problems.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.7

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 10:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 1:50 PM

A search gives the most common reason as being caused by a hardware failure. In almost all cases, something is wrong with the Touch Bar.

Fellow user, HWTech, refers to the same issue here:

What should I do if my MacBook Pro encoun… - Apple Community

3 replies

Oct 12, 2024 1:23 PM in response to crp2

It the message is literally spelled as you show:

can’be used until a critical update is installed”

Then that message is not being produced by the OS or any app installed with the OS. Apple is VERY particular about spelling and grammar. Such an obvious error would never get through.

Is this the icon you're seeing?

If so, that's an OS function in the protected System folder.

is this malware? my 2017 15 macbook pro at startup shows a rectangle with a message that it can

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.