You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

adobe_licutil quit unexpededly

I'm using Photoshop Elements 2024 on my late 2017 iMac running Monterey 12.7.6

I posted the same topic at the Adobe Forums and other Mac users are having the same issue, some using Sequoia. If Interested, here is the thread

For me the issue seemed to happen when Photoshop released V2025. For the Sequoia users the issue seemed to happen after they updated to Sequoia.

Every time I open PE, I get this message "adobe_licutil quit unexpededly" with options to Reopen, Report, Ignore as seen in the screenshot.

I've tried removing PE using /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers/Uninstall Adobe PE 2024 and then reinstalling by downloading again from the Adobe website. Obviously didn't work.

Anyone else having the same issue.

iMac 27″

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 6:18 AM

7 replies

Oct 13, 2024 5:49 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad, the issue seems to be fixed, but I'm not sure what steps I took fixed it.

I did the Adobe PE 2024 Uninstaller, restarted the computer in Safe Boot, then restarted as normal. I was curious to see if the Uninstaller removed the preference files in /Library/Application Support/Preferences and it did not. I deleted everything Adobe as the only Adobe product I use is Photoshop.

I installed a fresh copy of Photoshop Elements. Instead of first dragging the PE App to the Dock and opening from the Dock, I opened PE from the PE welcome screen.

So right now I can open a photo with out the "adobe_licutil quit unexpededly" message by either right click on a photo, open with Photoshop Elements, or by opening the PE App directly and not from the Dock.

So something in that process fixed the issue.

Do you know of any reason why an App would not work properly if opened from the Dock.

**Update: Dragged the PE App into the Dock and everything works as expected. It either had something to do with the preference files or the procedure with opening the App. Thanks for your help and patience.

Oct 12, 2024 11:14 AM in response to Joe Gramm

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 2 - 3 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Oct 13, 2024 4:51 AM in response to Old Toad

I have Applications/Utilities/Adobe Installers, but only have the Adobe ExtendScript Toolkit 2 and the Uninstall Adobe Photoshop Elements 2024 in the Folder.

I used the Uninstall utility and downloaded a new PE from my Adobe account. That didn't help either..

Since I don't know if this is an issue that can be fixed by something I can do, or if it will require a software update to fix, I'll try one more thing in this order.

Uninstall PH 2024 using the Adobe Uninstaller

Restart the computer in Safe Mode

Restart as normal, reinstall PE 2024

Does that sound sensible

adobe_licutil quit unexpededly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.