You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

DriveDX says SSD is not SMART enabled BUT . . .

I have my M2 mini booting off a 1 TB Crucial USB SSD

DriveDX says it is not SMART enabled yet if I then reboot the mini onto its own internal SSD, DriveDX recognises the Crucial drive and provides a report.

This is all I get when the mini is booted from the Crucial.

Any idea why this happens?

I have checked all the “suggestions” in the troubleshooting section at the top.

It also occurs with other computers.

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 10, 2024 1:15 AM

6 replies

Oct 11, 2024 12:50 AM in response to Alchroma

Yep, I've tried it all numerous times over the past few years with various computers.

As long as I am booting from the computer's internal drive, DriveDX recognises the Crucial and reports on it together with any other SSD I may have connected apart from my most expensive one - a Samsung T5 which is definitely not SMART enabled.

You get what you pay for and with the Samsung you get less!!!!!

But boot from the Crucial and both the Crucial and any other connected SSDs are not recognised . . . apart from the internal Mac HD.

I suspect it is just the nature of the beast and there is no solution and it's no big deal to boot from the internal on the odd occasions I want to check the Crucial . . . it takes less than a minute!

I have contacted the makers but not received a reply yet.

Oct 13, 2024 12:52 AM in response to lkrupp

Yes, I contacted them before posting here but have had no response probably because I am using DDX on a setup they never envisaged.

I assume it was designed to work on a system booted from an internal drive with other connected drives which it does perfectly.

Comparatively few people have their computers booted from external USB 3.0 HDDs/SSDs.

DriveDX says SSD is not SMART enabled BUT . . .

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.