You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Keyboard shortcuts to add keywords not working

Hello,

I'm currently derushing hundreds of clips and adding keywords to them, but for some reason the attributed keyboards shortcuts (ctrl-1 until ctrl-9) don't work...

I checked in System Settings and these same shortcuts are disabled for Mission Control, so there is no reason for them to not work...

Any help ?

I'm using the Swiss-QWERTZ keyboard layout, but I checked with the US-QWERTY layout and I have the same issue (but not with the France-AZERTY layout).

Thank you for your help!

Posted on Oct 9, 2024 11:53 AM

17 replies

Oct 10, 2024 7:23 AM in response to mat1696

I just looked at the Final Cut Pro command editor, and although the shortcut is assigned Control-1 (for example), it does say on the right "System reserved".

It seems that the developers of FCP left this as it has been, but at some point the OS took over these shortcuts.

At the moment the most obvious solution is to replace the shortcut with something like

Control-Shift-1 (and reeducate your muscle memory...)

Oct 10, 2024 8:15 AM in response to mat1696

mat1696 wrote:

In System Settings → Keyboard → Keyboard shortcuts → Mission Control you can disable these shortcuts under "Mission Control". Can you try this?

Face palm!

I had been looking this, but missed the disclosure triangle next to Mission Control!

You are absolutely right!

And by disabling them the usual functionality of these shortcuts in FCP is, of course, restored!

Oct 10, 2024 7:14 AM in response to mat1696

I have tested this now for a few minutes, as I had not had the occasion to use these shortcuts for quite some time (I usually assign keywords on import, using Finder folder names, or by selecting clips and dragging to an existing keyword collection, and have only very rarely remembered that these nice shortcuts exist).

I am using FCP 10.8.1 in Sonoma 14.6.1, in case that is relevant.

Here is what I found: Control-1, Control-2, and so on result in switching to Desktop (or Space) 1, Desktop 2, etc. This is what I get, regardless of the keyboard layout - I tested with US, British, German and French -, so my experience is different in this regard: it never works for me 🤪

I have not yet found any way to disable this functionality of switching to a numbered space. It seems clear to me that this system shortcut takes precedence, so FCP never receives the key press event, so for all intents and purposes, your command never reaches FCP. What is weird is how it works with AZERTY for you - I have no idea how that can happen!

Oct 10, 2024 7:17 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

By default these shortcuts (ctrl-1 up until ctrl-9) are used for Mission Control to switch between desktops. But I checked in System Settings and the corresponding checkboxes are all disabled, so I don't see what else could interfere with these shortcuts... Does it work for you? What keyboard layout do you have?

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2024 12:44 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I was able to fix my issue with the help of the Command Editor : it seems like as I have an Apple USB keyboard (with numeric keypad) connected to my Mac (via my external display's hub) the shortcuts were, for some reason, only mapped to the numerical keypad but not the standard number key row of my MacBook (and it keeps that layout if I disconnect the keyboard after opening FCP X). Recreating the exact same shortcut with Command Editor now correctly maps the shortcut for all my numerical keys.

So problem fixed.

Keyboard shortcuts to add keywords not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.