You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Reverse monterey install back to older version

Is it possible to Reverse monterey install back to older version? some of my apps dont work on this OS

I have 2015 iMac i5 2.8 quad core 8 gig memory

Can i also see which OS was before Monterey?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 9, 2024 3:01 AM

3 replies

Oct 9, 2024 7:28 AM in response to gsc1ugs

You will need to perform a clean install of macOS which involves first erasing the disk (aka delete the "Volume Group") followed by reinstalling macOS 11.x Big Sur and restoring from a backup.

You will need to create a bootable macOS 11.x Big Sur using the instructions in this Apple article before erasing the disk:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Oct 9, 2024 11:08 AM in response to gsc1ugs

What OS did you install? Big Sur or something older? If you have an older OS, then just download & install Catalina using the link within the Apple article I provided previously since it includes a link to an Apple article with instructions for downloading other macOS installers.

However, if you installed Big Sur and you need Catalina, then you need to perform another clean install since Catalina is immediately before Big Sur. You can use the same instructions that you followed previously for creating a bootable macOS USB installer. That article links to another Apple article that has links for various macOS installers.

Reverse monterey install back to older version

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.