You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Transferring chosen files from iMac to macBook Air m3

My old iMac is running macOS Sierra 10.12.6. I simply want to transfer individual files from this iMac on to my recently set up macBook Air m3. I have tried using the 'Target Disc' method with no success. There is no 'Airdrop' facility on my iMac. I don't want to use 'Migration Assistant', as it is not clear to me that I can transfer individual files. I have tried using the 'Server' Connection method but having put correct smb details in I can get no connection between the devices. It seems that Bluetooth cannot connect on either machine.

I have laid down in a Dark Corner for several hours!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 8:53 AM

4 replies

Oct 8, 2024 9:08 AM in response to 1GrannySmith

You can try a USB thumb drive or other external drive.

click here ➜ Use external storage devices with Mac - Apple Support

Outside of that, just setting up file Sharing on both Macs should allow them to see each other's files in Finder if they are connected to the same network.

click here ➜ Use file sharing on Mac (10.13 High Sierra) - Apple Support. (Should work for 10.12 Sierra too).

Oct 8, 2024 6:21 PM in response to 1GrannySmith

Target Disk Mode isn’t quite as useful for transferring files as it used to be. There’s now a restriction that if either Mac is running a new enough OS, the only supported type of connection is Thunderbolt.

You can still use a USB connection if it is an Apple Silicon Mac that is to act as the “disk”, using a different Target Disk like mode.

it is unfortunate that Apple has made this so complicated. I second Phil0124’s suggestion of using an external drive. If both Macs are connected to iCloud under the same Apple ID, you could also try copying selected files from the old Mac to iCloud Drive.

Oct 8, 2024 10:17 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Thanks SofC. Re. the Target Mode Option. I used USB-A to USB-C connection. Thinking the source is my iMac and the 'Target Disk' is my macBook. Not too sure what you mean regarding "using a different Target Disk like Mode"?

It seems the old version of Sierra which I am running is the crippling factor. I was wondering whether it is worth trying to move to a later macOS version (restricted by 12GB RAM on iMac)? I shall give Phil0124's suggestion a go.

Transferring chosen files from iMac to macBook Air m3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.