You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Saving a surround 5.1 project in Logic Pro

Helo all,

I'm pretty new at this. I want to know how to save a surround 5.1 project in Logic Pro. Does it need any special extension ? Can I save it as a normal .wav ? And once properly saved, I need to have that musical surround 5.1 project connected to a 5.1 system. Which audio or other types of cables are needed ? Do I need a special audio interface like a Scarlet ? Then, I need to be able to have the 5.1 system play my music in surround 5.1

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 7:02 AM

5 replies

Oct 10, 2024 6:54 AM in response to yoyoBen

Thanks YoyoBen for your reply. This is complex, at least for me. I write good music but I have to realize that I'm not very good at cabling things together ! ;-(

If I may, here's the context. I am about to be invited to present/ "spatialize" LIVE a few of my works in front of an audience. We - the agent and I, agreed that my works would be presented in 5.1. I think it's a very good call because my works emphasize a lot on the Spatial elements of the music. My works are very immersive. I mix in binaural and meant to be listened to with headphones.

We don't know exactly as of today in which venues I will present my music. That means I can't get in touch with the Head Technician. Don't know the Hall size. And they will vary from gig to gig.

____

I need to remix my works in 5.1 in Logic Pro (v.11). I did the conversion of my works from stereo to Surround and started remixing. From what I'm seeing, everything is going fine (I wish no surprises...)

When my remixes will be done, I have all these "?????" for the next steps, and can't seem to formulate my questions clearly enough to receive good answers ! The Logic Pro user manual seems to come close but I don't quite get it.

Can I give it a shot here ? I'll go.

A) I don't have the budget to purchase a 6x6 sound card yet. So I presume everything will come out directly from a MacBook Pro. I also own a Mac mini. That's where I do all my work. I save and backup everything on a few HDs. I presume I would bring my MacBook Pro and HD to the gigs. Is that about right ?

1- The hall technicians need a "technical rider". I don't know what to write...

2- In which format, and how do I save my new 5.1 remixes in Logic Pro ? I have set up all the outputs/speakers in Logic.

3- Can I take for granted that my remixes will sound pretty close in a LIVE situation compared to my Headphones mix (AudioTechnica ATH Mx50) ?

4- Once my new 5.1 mixes are saved, what system must I tell the Tech guys to get for me ? I know it's a 5.1 but what exactly does that comprise if we are talking about a hall, not a living room ?

5- How do I hook up my MacBook Pro into that 5.1 system to have the music played ? I read that it can be done from a MacBook Pro port into the 5.1 system with HDMI... ?

Ouffff... !

Thanks so much for your patience and dedication to helping others make better music.

Oct 10, 2024 9:09 AM in response to StrangeRecital

It seems that you are confusing a binaural headphone mix with a multichannel speaker mix. You may be able to more or less simulate a surround mix with headphones, but you need to create a single multi-channel audio file or six separate mono audio files to present your work in a live situation, which can be done in Logic. But I doubt that the headphone simulation will come close to reality. And remember, either you or the venue need a multi-channel audio-interface to send the signals to the speakers.

Alternatively, if you want to produce “immersive binaural headphone mixes”, you need to provide the audience with wireless (stereo) headphones and send the binaural stereo mix to the headphones. This is possible and has also been used at many concerts and “silent discos”.

You don't need to buy the equipment, you can also rent it.

Saving a surround 5.1 project in Logic Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.