You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

patch for hotmail el capitan

I have an old MacBook Pro mid 2009 running OS X El Capitan.

I cannot access my hotmail.com email, or Microsoft and some other sites like Mozilla.

Is there a patch Available to resolve this ?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 3:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 12:59 PM

scott1975... wrote:

I have a new Mac with the current OS X so contrary to your reply, I have moved on, but I have a very powerful fully functioning 2009 MacBook Pro I would like to run some basic tasks with.
Im sure Microsoft PC’s go a longer distance for your Buck.

You can run that 2009 MacBook Pro until it ceases to function. However, as I mentioned, the Internet Security Protocols that govern your accessing modern email and websites have deprecated the older standards used in macOS El Capitan. That will pose Internet connectivity restrictions with older software on El Capitan.

Hotmail may currently use Oauth 2.0 and even Apple Mail in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 rejects connecting to Oauth 2.0 mail servers (e.g. Google). The last Firefox browser version for El Capitan is 78.15.0esr. Neither Apple, Microsoft, nor Mozilla are coming to the rescue here with software updates that talk to modern Internet standards.

If you had instead, invested in a Windows PC in 2014, there are chances that it wouldn't run Windows 11 or potentially support applications written in 2014. So I question that longer distance for the buck comment. You can try it if you like… 😉

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2024 12:59 PM in response to scott1975...

scott1975... wrote:

I have a new Mac with the current OS X so contrary to your reply, I have moved on, but I have a very powerful fully functioning 2009 MacBook Pro I would like to run some basic tasks with.
Im sure Microsoft PC’s go a longer distance for your Buck.

You can run that 2009 MacBook Pro until it ceases to function. However, as I mentioned, the Internet Security Protocols that govern your accessing modern email and websites have deprecated the older standards used in macOS El Capitan. That will pose Internet connectivity restrictions with older software on El Capitan.

Hotmail may currently use Oauth 2.0 and even Apple Mail in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 rejects connecting to Oauth 2.0 mail servers (e.g. Google). The last Firefox browser version for El Capitan is 78.15.0esr. Neither Apple, Microsoft, nor Mozilla are coming to the rescue here with software updates that talk to modern Internet standards.

If you had instead, invested in a Windows PC in 2014, there are chances that it wouldn't run Windows 11 or potentially support applications written in 2014. So I question that longer distance for the buck comment. You can try it if you like… 😉

Oct 9, 2024 5:30 AM in response to scott1975...

No one is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Neither hardware, nor software development stand still, nor do international standards development. If they did, everyone would be out of business by now. No business entity that wants to remain so is developing new or patching old software for macOS El Capitan. No matter how much you sing the praises of the power in your 2009 MacBook Pro, it is a technology island in 2024.

I once owned a Powerbook 540C and a Newton MessagePad 2100. Thoroughly enjoyed them but their time has passed…

Oct 8, 2024 11:59 PM in response to scott1975...

Fair point but, that’s where I still find it difficult to understand why we all possess very powerful machines regardless of age that are capable of still running. The industry of which I believe is operating like a government, keeps closing doors to stop equipment running just for profit.

It will get to the point where the wool can’t be pulled over the eyes any longer and, and the promise of better graphic faster speed, just won’t wash anymore. It’s like how many times can you beef up a razor or a toothpaste which generally has the same ingredient and does one basic job, and sell it as something fantastical, if smells like, it generally is.

Oct 9, 2024 6:47 AM in response to VikingOSX

There has to be a point where there is a ceiling price or ongoing support for older machines. The newer machines, which become instantly old, are mostly non maintainable, which is just heading down the path of becoming more frustrating.

my last Mac I purchased in 2019 was £5000.

A year later I could have had double the Ram and a bigger SSD for the same cost.

I’ve only just found out about Flexgate, which will no dour kill my screen that I will have to shell out again for, and the battery charge recognition feature is either faulty or I already have damaged cells with the battery. Having to purchase plugins/converters to have more ports available, and removable SSD’s for more space, it’s just endless, the machines are just not living up to the price tag.

Anyway I am going off on a tangent.

patch for hotmail el capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.