You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Internet won't work when Nord VPN is on

Hi there

I have a MacBook Air M1,2020 using Ventura 13.5.2 . I've never had issues using VPN previously but in early September I stopped being able to use the internet when Nord VPN is connected. The strange thing is that very sporadically VPN and internet work together - like all of yesterday when it was a public holiday here - but generally now since Sept, Nord VPN and internet can't work together. As noted we've had Nord VPN for years now and I've never encountered this issue before. Other devices in the house can use the net with VPN on.

I have no problems on the iPhone just the MacBook. I've reached out to Nord several times over the last month and they've given me instructions including -

• Check your account status to ensure there are no issues that might be affecting your service .- none 
  • Switch to the TCP connection protocol in the NordVPN app settings. This can sometimes resolve connectivity issues . - switched to TCP
  • Change your DNS servers to Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) to see if this improves your connection. Please note that these DNS servers are not provided by NordVPN, so use them at your discretion .- Switched to 1.1.1.1
  • Ensure that you are using the latest version of the NordVPN app. Outdated versions may have compatibility issues or bugs that have been resolved in newer updates .- yes 8.27.3
  • Try switching to a different VPN server. Sometimes specific servers may have issues that can affect connectivity. You can use the auto-connect feature or the server locator tool within the app to find a suitable server . - tried several, still same issue 
  • Check your network settings to ensure that there are no conflicts with the VPN. This includes verifying that your firewall or antivirus software is not blocking the VPN connection - allowed Nord in firewall settings 

I've now sent them connection logs, my internet provider and more info but still no response.

Has anyone had this issue? And if yes, I'd be grateful for any advice on how to resolve it

Thanks!

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 7:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 7:50 PM

Resolve it by uninstalling Nord VPN.

A VPN is not needed and may cause problems. If you need a VPN to create a point-to-point secure tunnel to your workplace or other private network, contact the network administrator for instructions regarding what VPN to use and how to configure it.

Similar questions

11 replies

Oct 8, 2024 1:16 PM in response to TashMark

> We're with Nord VPN and have it because we've been hacked previously

This sounds like a problem. How does NordVPN make a difference here?

I'm assuming you're concerned about your company's services/resources? and are trying to prevent some unauthorized person from accessing them..>

When you're running NordVPN, the only difference is that all your traffic is first sent to NordVPN who decrypt it - and then forward it to your server. The only difference is now NordVPN can see everything you do. You're virtually handing them the keys to your corporate servers.

Now, if you trust NordVPN, then that's OK... just don't go thinking it in any way protects you from man-in-the-middle attacks (someone can sit between NordVPN and your server to 'sniff' your traffic, just as easily as they can sit between you at home and your server.

In many cases, people don't realize this distinction and think that "VPN=secure', but it's a false sense of security.

Oct 7, 2024 8:54 PM in response to TashMark

+1

Thanks to Old Toad

Feb 28, 2023 10:29 AM in response to claas_berlin

Unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's, school's or bank's servers, they are not very secure from a privacy standpoint. Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites.  

Oct 8, 2024 1:20 PM in response to TashMark

How, exactly, were you “hacked”?

It’s extremely unlikely that a VPN would have made any difference at all…

Actually, in all likelihood, you were not “hacked”.

One or more of your online accounts was probably compromised, or you were conned into downloading and installing something malicious or you were conned into giving up personal information.

Oct 9, 2024 10:06 AM in response to TashMark

I'm not sure how we were hacked (I dont have a huge understanding of these tech issues - more my hubs domain) but someone got into our router and all our files were uploaded ...

There is no way for any of us here to know what may have happened, but failing to secure your router or the wireless networks it creates with reasonably secure passwords (meaning, both the hardware itself and your wireless network, preferably with two different passwords) is a very common oversight. A VPN can do exactly nothing to prevent that exploit.

Oct 9, 2024 4:01 AM in response to KiltedTim

I'm not sure how we were hacked (I dont have a huge understanding of these tech issues - more my hubs domain) but someone got into our router and all our files were uploaded (Back in the days before unlimited internet was available so we could see the upload spike), also hijacked 2 of our businesses websites, hacked into one of my social media accounts uploading material and had my account suspended .... My credit card was compromised twice. Things seemed to have settled since getting VPN a number of years ago so looks like it works..but how do we truly know?

Internet won't work when Nord VPN is on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.