You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

"Routined quit unexpectedly" issue

I have a 2017 13" MacBook Pro, with MacOS Ventura 13.7 running.

I started getting this error few days after I updated to Ventura 13.7.

Opening the "more details" window of the notification it says the path is /usr/libexec/routined.

I did some research online to see if anyone has had the same issue and if they solved it in any way. They usually got the notification on MacOS Big Sur or Catalina.

I tried to follow some instructions for a possibile solution, like this one (after disabling the SIP):

sudo mount -rw /

sudo mv /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.routined.plist /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.routined.plist.disabled

but the terminal says:

mount_apfs: volume could not be mounted: Permission denied

mount: / failed with 66

mv: rename /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.routined.plist to /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.routined.plist.disabled: Read-only file system

I found this solution, that didn't work for me, here: "routined has quit unexpectedly" - Apple Community

I tried to understand where this /usr/libexec is on my laptop and I found the full path to be:

Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/Previously Relocated Items/Security/usr

This is what the folder contains:

And this is what's inside the libexec folder: firmwarecheckers/eficheck/EFIAllowListAll

If I close the pop up, sending the report to Apple, it keeps showing up.

I'm hoping for a solution. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.7

Posted on Oct 7, 2024 5:38 AM

11 replies

Oct 12, 2024 1:53 AM in response to elf_pirate

Respectfully, one can limp along attempting to salvage the current situation

The time spent maybe better taking previous advise from BDAqua " Yikes, you need to backup and/or copy all your data to another drive, then erase/reformat your drive "

Specific to CleanMyMac aka “ BrickMyMac

To put the CleanMyMac in context and the damages it may have or has already done.

This application can or will Muck Up your User Account ( Home Folder ) of this machine.

It does not touch the Operating System itself unless you consider your User.

Account ( Home Folder ) as part of the Operating System

Then in that specific context - it has Mucked Up the Operating  System 

The Operating System is hosed 

Oct 7, 2024 9:09 PM in response to elf_pirate

In Disk Utility>View, select Show all Devices, highlight the top left entry.

Run Disk First Aid on all items in the left panel, from top down.

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info. Give it Full Disk Access.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Give etrecheck Full Disk Access before running.

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

Slow iMac 2017 - Apple Community

Oct 8, 2024 8:19 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello.

I don't have any VPN nor Anti-Virus on at the moment. I recently uninstalled CleanMyMac.

I tried what you suggested and Disk First Aid found a damaged area; below the full report:

Verifying file system.

Unable to unmount volume.

Using real-time mode.

Running fsck_apfs -n -l -x /dev/rdisk1s1

Verifying container superblock.

Verifying transaction checkpoint 2743895.

Verifying EFI boot record.

Verifying space manager.

warning: spaceman chunk 3 free count 36863 > block count 32768

warning: spaceman chunk 5 free count 33002 > block count 32768

warning: spaceman main free count 10270812 does not match sum of free counts 10205276

Verifying space manager free queue trees.

Verifying object map.

Verifying encryption key structures.

error: object (oid 0x46ae448e142d15ba): o_cksum (0x1b897f7eab89a183) is invalid for object error: object (oid 0x46ae448e142d15ba): o_type invalid, o_type 0x78767ace should be 0x72656373 error: object (oid 0x46ae448e 142d15ba): o_subtype invalid, o_subtype 0x4b33ad5d should be 0x0 warning: volume keybag (9024766+1): block range isn't a valid keybag, skipping checks error: object (oid 0xb45f9aba1e21f908): o_cksum (0x66829a1fb3b2ad30) is invalid for object

error: object (oid 0xb45f9aba1e21f908): o_type invalid, o_type 0xe7ef35e4 should be 0x72656373

error: object (oid 0xb45f9aba1e21f908): o_subtype invalid, o_subtype 0xe98fdf75 should be 0x0

warning: volume keybag (45239882+1): block range isn't a valid keybag, skipping checks

Checking volume /dev/rdisk1s1.

Checking APFS volume superblock.

Macintosh HD volume was formatted by storagekitd (1677.50.1) and last modified by apfs_kext (2142.140.9.703.1).

Checking object map.

Checking the snapshot metadata tree.

Checking the snapshot metadata.

Checking snapshot 1 of 1 (com.apple.os.update-C4A98E5377CE6818F6D2C911BFC93E8E2F74620026EE3C3F29BCD3A8EDF7B7AE)

Checking the fsroot tree.

Checking the file entity tree.

Checking the entity reference tree.

Checking the volume object map space.

Checking the allocated space.

error: cib: ci_free_count (36863) is not valid (32768) (ci_addr 0x18000)

error: cib: ci_free_count (33002) is not valid (32768) (ci_addr 0x28000)

Space verification failed.

The volume /dev/rdisk1s1 could not be fully verified.

The exit code for file system verification is 8.

Reverting to original state detected as activated.

Error verifying or repairing file system. : (-69845)

Oct 12, 2024 1:23 AM in response to elf_pirate

At this point it seems we could test it . different ways...

1.. Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

2.. To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

3.. Reinstall the OS

Oct 12, 2024 10:01 AM in response to PRP_53

If I have to start from scratch with the OS, I'll do it; all the files I consider important are on an external drive and I can download back again a few apps that I might need.

But what I find odd is that I've had CleanMyMac for about 2 years and I've never had any crashes before, until I upgraded to Ventura 13.7 last week.

I deleted the path folder /usr/libexec/routined, so I can't understand why it keep crashing even if that folder is no longer on my computer.

"Routined quit unexpectedly" issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.