You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Why does apple allow apps to totally take over iPad?

I have several free games that I play OFF LINE ONLY and every time one of them has an update, posts certain types of self ads, or something similar they DEMAND for you to do something you do not want to do holds them iPad (pro) for ransom because there is no obvious way to get out of most of those processes. i.e. the right hand corner "X" is not visible or any other means of egress.

The self ad just keeps running with the DOWNLOAD or INSTALL button the only thing clickable on the pages.

I just had one that did something to the app I had such that the basic icon is still there but it links to absolutely nothing; i.e. BLACK PAGE with the date/time in the upper LEFT corner in 6-8 pt type.

What is goin on?

WGB

p.s. is have an iPad Pro 2022

iPad Pro (5th generation)

Posted on Oct 5, 2024 7:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2024 4:59 AM

Consider that App Developers need to make a living; they don't work for no return. If you don't pay for the App, it will be monetised (i.e., create income) through some other medium - such as carrying advertising.

Many "free" Apps have an in-App purchase option that will suppress intrusive advertising.

If you are unable (or unwilling) to pay to remove unwanted advertising, your only option is to delete the App from your device - and find some other entertainment.

Apps can be force-closed using the App Switcher page. To expose the App Switcher page, swipe-upwards from the bottom edge to the centre of the screen, pausing briefly before lifting your finger from the screen; you will see a thumbnail image for each of your currently open Apps. Apps can be force-closed by swiping the corresponding thumbnail off the top of the screen.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2024 4:59 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Consider that App Developers need to make a living; they don't work for no return. If you don't pay for the App, it will be monetised (i.e., create income) through some other medium - such as carrying advertising.

Many "free" Apps have an in-App purchase option that will suppress intrusive advertising.

If you are unable (or unwilling) to pay to remove unwanted advertising, your only option is to delete the App from your device - and find some other entertainment.

Apps can be force-closed using the App Switcher page. To expose the App Switcher page, swipe-upwards from the bottom edge to the centre of the screen, pausing briefly before lifting your finger from the screen; you will see a thumbnail image for each of your currently open Apps. Apps can be force-closed by swiping the corresponding thumbnail off the top of the screen.

Oct 7, 2024 8:43 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Again, that's how the developers build web games. They get their money by selling ads, usually on a per-view basis, so of course they don't want you playing the game when off their site since then they don't get paid.

Making a good game takes a lot of time, often hundreds if not thousands of programming and testing. Expecting any developer to put that much effort in without them getting paid in some fashion is unrealistic. I doubt very much that you work, or worked, at your job for free.

If you go to the App Store and look in Games -> Top Free Games, you can see which require payment, either up front or as in-app purchases, and perhaps you'll find something you'd like. But any such games are either very likely to have ads or will be fairly rudimentary.

That's all we can say on the matter.

Regards.

Oct 7, 2024 8:54 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Sparkgapper wrote:

I understand that and if Apple would have some TRUELY FREE CARD GAMES,

Apple doesn't offer "TRULY FREE CARD GAMES" but they do offer Apple Arcade which, for a monthly fee, gives you access to a library of games with no ads.

My favorite solitaire game is one called "Full Deck Solitaire". I've forgotten if there is a free tier or not. However, the basic game pack is 5.99 and there are absolutely no ads. It's not a subscription, either.

As varja paw pointed out, making a good game is a lot of work. Not only do I expect developers to charge, I want to support the ones who do create good games. Six dollars was a small price to pay for a game I play every day.

Oct 10, 2024 8:02 AM in response to Sparkgapper

Sparkgapper wrote:

How about more on this debicile.
It is not single ads that I object to but several of the card games I have tried the new updates for are running MUILTIPLE ADS, or MULTIPLE VERSIONS of an ad with the computer locked UNTIL IT TOTALLY FINISHES. Then to compound the issue, this happes with each HAND make it highly objectionable to finish a game in any reasonable time. And, this does not include all the ads that are on the playing screen during play. They must be making a MINT off the ads as a money source.

So download and play a different game without ads.

Oct 6, 2024 3:00 PM in response to LotusPilot

I understand that and if Apple would have some TRUELY FREE CARD GAMES, even ancient ones, for the few of us who ONLY USE THEM FOR ENTERTAINMENT meaning I DO NOT EVER PLAY ONLINE for any reason. This is for when I am sitting somewhere in the city for someone to finish as I am their transportation and there are no secure wifi setups available. I do not have a phone on my iPad. Then to top it all off, Apple adds an absolute restriction that all apps either must go through them or at least be Apple certified so tell me where I can find something appropriate.

Oct 6, 2024 9:17 PM in response to Sparkgapper

What I am referring to here is if you are UNABLE to be online and playing the game when the ad comes up there is absolutely no way to close it out WITHOUT being online. That would mean, TO ANYONE, that is using a "Free' game of any sort that this same thing will happen and until we can get online there is no way to use the game after the ad pops up.

Oct 9, 2024 12:58 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

How about more on this debicile.

It is not single ads that I object to but several of the card games I have tried the new updates for are running MUILTIPLE ADS, or MULTIPLE VERSIONS of an ad with the computer locked UNTIL IT TOTALLY FINISHES. Then to compound the issue, this happes with each HAND make it highly objectionable to finish a game in any reasonable time. And, this does not include all the ads that are on the playing screen during play. They must be making a MINT off the ads as a money source.

Why does apple allow apps to totally take over iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.