You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Full Storage on MacBook Pro

My computer storage says 984.23 GB of 1 TB used. I don't know if I can upgrade from my macOS Ventura since I don't have storage left. I haven’t put many things on this computer. Just a lot of personal family pictures/videos that I transfer mainly from my iPhone. I attached my EtreCheck report and unfortunately I'm not very tech savvy and at a loss at what to do. I downloaded Malwarebytes as I saw that recommended by several people in this apple community. It says Detections 17. Do I just Quarantine those, or where should I go from here? I was just trying to transfer my phone's pictures/videos and back it up since I just got the new iPhone. That's when I noticed I had no storage. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.7

Posted on Oct 5, 2024 12:50 PM

9 replies

Oct 5, 2024 5:01 PM in response to Sab_C

That's a lot in Pictures. You can keep clicking and drill further down. If you have a lot of storage in "Photos Library.photoslibrary", that is your Photos library, obviously. EtreCheck won't let you go into that directory. But if you want to manage that folder, you'll have to do it through Photos itself.

Anything else in in Pictures is something that you should be able to delete or archive.

(It's been many years, but there might also be an old iPhoto library in there that is consuming a lot of space. I might have to call in some additional help for that. I don't remember how to deal with that.)

Also, you have an awful lot of storage in Library. That is one of those "delicate" locations, so you have to be careful with it. But that's still an awful lot. That's almost what I have and 168 GB of mine is just from Xcode, which eats storage like nothing else.

Oct 5, 2024 4:35 PM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

Sab_C wrote:

Do I select "Open in Finder" or "Clean up?" I don't have the paid version.
Clean up isn't going to do anything for you.

What you want to do is double-click on "Users". Then, you'll see another, almost identical pie chart with probably 100% on your user. Double-click that. Then it will start getting more interesting.

Once you find a folder that has way too much storage allocated than you think it should, you can click the "Open in Finder" button and start deleting files and/or archiving them onto an external drive.

I do have an external hard drive I got a while back that I was planning on transferring my pictures/videos to. When I plugged it in today, it asked me for a password, and of course I've forgotten it. I haven't used it in probably a couple years and I don't have an option to reset anything. Guess I will have to purchase a new one.

Oct 5, 2024 2:35 PM in response to Sab_C

Sab_C wrote:

My computer storage says 984.23 GB of 1 TB used. I don't know if I can upgrade from my macOS Ventura since I don't have storage left.

Your computer cannot be upgraded any more. It is not supported by macOS Sonoma or Sequoia. You are currently running the most recent version of the operating system that it supports.

I haven’t put many things on this computer. Just a lot of personal family pictures/videos that I transfer mainly from my iPhone. I attached my EtreCheck report and unfortunately I'm not very tech savvy and at a loss at what to do.

Free up some storage. Since you already have EtreCheck, you can use the "Storage" tool from the "Tools" menu. This tool will show you where all your storage is being used. Hopefully you will recognize it and can manually delete or archive what you don't need.

The EtreCheck Storage tool will not open a Finder window inside a Library folder. Deleting the wrong files in a "Library" folder could cause significant data loss. Unfortunately, that is also sometimes the source of storage problems. If most of your storage is in a "Library" folder, please describe what you are seeing and we can tell you what to do.

I downloaded Malwarebytes as I saw that recommended by several people in this apple community. It says Detections 17.

I'm not familiar with that product and I don't know what "Detections 17" means. Your EtreCheck report does not show any malicious software.

Your problem is storage. That's what you need to focus on. Ignore anything about "malware" or "security".

Oct 5, 2024 4:11 PM in response to Sab_C

You may need to look at getting an external drive, and transferring some files to that drive. (Be sure to back up any and all "archive" drives, as well as backing up your MacBook Pro's internal drive.)

If you are using iCloud Photos to synchronize photos between your iPhone and your MacBook Pro another option is to enable "Optimize Mac Storage" in the iCloud tab of the settings for the Photos application. This would give your Mac permission to store low-quality versions of some of your photos to save space. (The idea is that it could later pull down full-size copies of photos from iCloud, as needed, on demand.)

If you are using iCloud Photos, do not delete photos from your iPhone or your Mac, thinking they will still be "safe" in iCloud or on the other device. iCloud Photos is a synchronization service, and a request to delete a photo anywhere is taken as a request to delete it everywhere.

Oct 5, 2024 4:16 PM in response to Sab_C

Sab_C wrote:

Do I select "Open in Finder" or "Clean up?" I don't have the paid version.

Clean up isn't going to do anything for you.

What you want to do is double-click on "Users". Then, you'll see another, almost identical pie chart with probably 100% on your user. Double-click that. Then it will start getting more interesting.

Once you find a folder that has way too much storage allocated than you think it should, you can click the "Open in Finder" button and start deleting files and/or archiving them onto an external drive.

Oct 6, 2024 5:18 PM in response to Sab_C

Sab_C wrote:

I purchased a new external hard drive today. I was planning on transferring all my pictures and videos to that so I can delete them from my laptop.

That's a good idea.

I'm not entirely sure what's going on there. I've asked for help from other people who might have more experience with iPhotos migration problems. I'm confused about why these are still named "iPhotos". My database is named just "Photos".

My guess is that you can delete the "migrated" folder. If you look at this folder in the Finder, hopefully it will be fairly old. I would feel better about deleting it if it were old.

But still, 350 GB is an awful lot of photos. I have 58 GB and I know I have a lot of worthless and duplicate photos.

Full Storage on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.