You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Which MacBook is best to use during grad school?

Hi y’all,

I’m new to the community but not new to Apple. I’ve been a long time iPhone user and I love my iPhone and iCloud features. I am starting grad school in a couple of months and have been considering getting a MacBook to use it during school. I’ve been a windows user my whole life but I’m decently familiar with MacOS. My main concern is software compatibility with MacOS; I’ve heard that a non-negligible number of software is not compatible with MacOS. For me specially, going into a science and engineering PhD program, compatibility is essential to do my work. Any advice here on how I can overcome this barrier? Should I just stick with Windows?

Thank y’all so much for any insights!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 5, 2024 8:36 AM

1 reply

Oct 5, 2024 10:51 AM in response to NVTXbrazilian

If you are accustomed to Windows, buy a Windows PC.

Macs and Windows PCs could not be more different from one another. Their respective operating systems developed completely separately, until Microsoft started to copy the Mac... badly.

If you choose to buy a Mac, it's a fine choice, but if you want to continue running Microsoft Windows software and expect to keep doing things the Microsoft way, you will absolutely detest the Mac.

... for about a month or so.

Then, at some point, you will realize how much better they are, how much more sense they make, how you can be much more productive with them, and you will never want to touch a Windows PC, ever again. You will wonder how you coped with them for so long.

Which MacBook is best to use during grad school?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.