You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How can I convert 2024 MS Word .docx files to 2024 .pages ?

Pages used to be able to open MS Word .docx files directly. It seems that the most recent versions of Pages can no longer directly open the most recent versions of MS Word .docx files. This is very inconvenient for us MacOS people who must be able to collaborate with Windows users.

I tried first searching for a pre-existing question here, but only found older answers that reference Page's former ability to open MS Word .docs directly.

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.7

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 8:04 PM

1 reply

Oct 5, 2024 5:22 AM in response to phoo

I have Office 2021 for Mac Home and Business current with v16.89.1 of Word. I can create a Word .docx on my local drive (I do not use OneDrive) and Pages v14.2 opens the Word document without issue. If you are attempting to open a Word 2024 document from Windows, and it uses features not implemented in the Mac Word version, then Pages may refuse to open that document. If the document was encrypted by OneDrive and then sent to you, Pages will not know how to decrypt that OneDrive document.

We have been recommending for years that those who must interchange documents with Microsoft Word users (PC or Mac) that they be using the current version of MS Office themselves. That way, you avoid the Pages document translation from Word into Pages document format, and then the second translation from Pages back to Word on export. Pages does not change the original Word document, or leave it open for editing or saving.

How can I convert 2024 MS Word .docx files to 2024 .pages ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.