You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Did I get scammed?

I purchased a laptop for my grandson. There was an offer for a "Free $150.00"apple gift card.

I used the Apple Credit Goldman Sachs credit card. When the bill was due I saw that there were charges for 12 dollars an 50 cents. when I questioned apple I got "the gift card is not free." you have to make payments to pay for the card.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 11:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 12:04 PM

No. No scam.

Apple reduces the price of the computer by the amount of the gift card on your bill, and then charges you for the gift card. You end up paying the same amount as the total price of the computer.

This is done so people don't try to get a free gift card by purchasing an item and then returning it for a full refund since Apple has no way of forcing the return of the gift card. What they do, is they refund the reduced price of the Mac, but not the price of the gift card, since there's no way to compel users to return the gift card.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 4, 2024 12:04 PM in response to NoMasApple

No. No scam.

Apple reduces the price of the computer by the amount of the gift card on your bill, and then charges you for the gift card. You end up paying the same amount as the total price of the computer.

This is done so people don't try to get a free gift card by purchasing an item and then returning it for a full refund since Apple has no way of forcing the return of the gift card. What they do, is they refund the reduced price of the Mac, but not the price of the gift card, since there's no way to compel users to return the gift card.

Oct 5, 2024 5:22 AM in response to NoMasApple

No, you were not scammed, it just wasn’t explained well at the POS.

Item is discounted for students. During Back to School Sale additional discount is applied for qualifying students.

At POS, cost of gift card is deducted from price of computer. This makes a total of 3 price deductions on the computer.

You are charged for gift card, as Phil explained, to facilitate a return, if necessary. The value of the gift card is available.

Yes, you were charged for the gift card, but you also received the price of the gift card as a price reduction and the value of the gift card remains.

Did I get scammed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.