You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mounting old MacOS system drives

I have pulled the 160GB hard drive from a 2006 iMac 17/2.0/2x1GB/160/sd as it has archive files I want to recover. I can't remember what OS was on it but dates from the big cats - Lion or Leopard I think

I've put it into a powered SATA to USB enclosure but it won't mount on my 2017 MacBook Pro running Ventura 13.6.7.

It does sort of mount as I get string of "Disk Not Ejected Properly" messages but it doe not - quite -mount.

Under Terminal "diskutil list" does show the disk up at all. I'm not good enough to use other Terminal commands with any degree of confidence

I have an even older 80GB drive that I would like to recover if possible as well.

Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.6

Posted on Oct 4, 2024 4:00 AM

11 replies

Oct 4, 2024 3:27 PM in response to BDAqua

The drives will be whatever the OS format the had back in the day, probably one of the MacOS Extended flavours.

I never messed around with them at that level so I really don't know. I don't fiddle with things like that without expert advice. FWIW I have pulled drives and put them in enclosures before to retrieve files but this the first time have done with such a large gap between operating systems.

I'm about to head out for 8-10 hours. I will check to see if fsck is running when I get back and report in then.

Oct 6, 2024 4:52 PM in response to BDAqua

I've done some additional testing and I am now reasonably certain it is the enclosure I am using to physically mount the drives that is the issue.

They mount but don't stay mounted. When they first mount I can see the contents briefly and then the image drops off the Desktop. It then remounts but for a shorter time. This process repeats in increasingly shorter cycles until it won't mount at all after about 3 minutes

I'm using one of these enclosures https://www.simplecom.com.au/simplecom-se331-aluminium-3-5-sata-to-usb-c-external-hard-drive-enclosure-usb-3-2-gen1-5gbps.html

Am I being hopeful that an old Seagate 80GB driveModel ST3808 19AS can be mounted with this unit?

Oct 6, 2024 5:18 PM in response to BDAqua

I can't use your suggested unit as they don't ship to Australia.

My son has something similar to it but we had no power supply for it which is why I used the Simplecom unit that DOES have a power supply.

I was trying to do it on the cheap but it looks like I'll have to take it into a shop to get what I need done done.

Thank you for your assistance.

Mounting old MacOS system drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.