You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How can I make a flex-table that refers to a Pop-up menu in Numbers?

How can I make a flex-table that refers to a Pop-upmenu for a cel to make a choice in a spreadsheet? 

I would like, If you change the table that the refer to the Popupmenu will change to? Is that possible?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 3, 2024 5:14 AM

7 replies

Oct 3, 2024 11:30 PM in response to GJB-Sr

Hi GJB-Sr,

You have withdrawn from this discussion. However, to help other users, I think we should continue.

In Numbers there is no need to edit values (Menu Items) for Pop-Up Menus in a separate range of cells, the way you can in Excel to act as a "reference".

Simply select all the Pop-Up Menus that you want change.

Format Panel (on the right) > Cell > Data Format > Pop-Up Menu

Click on the plus ("+") sign to add a Menu Item to all selected Pop-Ups.

Click on the minus ("-") sign to delete a Menu Item from all selected Pop-Ups.

I deleted Banana, which is now "Choose a fruit" (the "Start with First Item").

The other cells retained their previous Menu Item. Woohoo!

I Added Grape.

All Pop-Up Menus in that selection now contain these choices (Menu Items):

Goodbye Banana, Hello Grape.

The Charm of Numbers!

Regards,

Ian.

Oct 3, 2024 6:38 AM in response to GJB-Sr

My apologies. I don't really understand what you are trying to do. I'm now guessing that you are asking whether the values in Pop-Up Menu can come from a range of cells, the way you can in Excel. If that is your question, then no, unfortunately, that is not possible.

You can make setting the values in Pop-Up Menu a little easier by listing the values in a column, selecting the cells, and setting their Data Format to Pop-Up Menu. Each cell will then have a Pop-Up Menu with all the values. You can then copy-paste or cut-paste one of those cells to wherever you need it.

SG

Oct 3, 2024 5:20 AM in response to GJB-Sr

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do.

What do you mean by "flex-table"?

Also not sure what you mean by having a table "refer to" a Pop-Up Menu.

Pop-Up Menu is a data format applied to a cell or cells in a table. A table does not "refer to" a Pop-Up Menu. You can use formulas in other cells to do certain things depending on the value set in a cell by its Pop-Up Menu.

SG

Oct 3, 2024 5:31 AM in response to GJB-Sr

Flex-table is the table in figure 1, the most important table what have to refer with the pop-up menu from NUMBERS.

At this moment, what I know it is impossible to do so.

But what I ask is, "Is there a way to do so?"

It will give me more flexibility and one place to change the data in the pop-upmenu.

If I read your answer good, then I conclude that there is no way to do so.

thanks for your reflexion.

How can I make a flex-table that refers to a Pop-up menu in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.