You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

FCPX crashes and the library lost the location when I try to duplicate projects.

The FCPX fails when I try to duplicate projects, the FCPX sends a message that it cannot save changes to the library and closes the library without saving the changes, but when I try to reopen the library, the FCPx sends a message that the library It could not be read and I have to recover a backup copy.

This happens every time I want to duplicate a project.

I think the library cannot save the cache information and crashes the library. This is an issue that occurred in FCPX 10.6 or 7, I don't remember. But I am using 10.8.1

I always have to create a new project and copy and paste the edit each time, this is not practical in a television series.

Maybe someone knows how to fix this problem.

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 5:46 PM

5 replies

Oct 4, 2024 12:02 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

We've been dealing with this problem for quite some time. I believe the problem was exacerbated when 10.7 came out. We have six edit system connected to a GB Labs NAS. The NAS runs on SMB. When the FCP Library lives on the NAS the library will corrupt itself when you attempt to duplicate a project, which we do 50-100 times a day in our particular workflow. The only workaround for us was to keep the Library on each editors local machine. This introduced quite a bit of complexity and the opportunity for lots of problems but we manage.

I've posted "Final Cut Pro Feedback" to Apple on multiple occasions over the years, even in person at the FCP Summit, but still the problem persists. It feels like the FCP Library only likes to reside on APFS or HFS formatted drives on a macOS system.

Oct 4, 2024 3:03 PM in response to ambidextrous

We have 3 edit systems that work off libraries stored on QNAP 10GbE NAS systems that are mounted as SMB volumes. I have encountered over the last 5 years maybe 3 or 4 times that a project could not be duplicated or snapshotted. We're still running 10.6.5 on Ventura.

Recently I tracked down the cause of a failure when trying to duplicate a project. Copying the entire timeline and pasting into an empty project would also immediately fail with a system beep. After dividing and conquering, I determined it was a retimed compound clip. I excluded it from the copy and it pasted into a new project timeline without issue.

I have not heard of GB Labs, but perhaps someone on the LiftGammaGain storage forum can provide insight. Bob Z in particular is very knowledgeable and may know about required hardware-specific configuration settings.

FCPX crashes and the library lost the location when I try to duplicate projects.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.