You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

2009 MacPro running Mojave won't print from any app: spinning beachball

2009 MacPro running 10.14.6 needed for about 6 more months. Recently, it has started refusing to print from any application (Acrobat, Word, Excel, QuickBooks 2016.) Everything is normal until I try to print. Then, a spinning beachball that won't stop. Force Quit works sometimes ("Not Responding") but sometimes does not and I have to do a hard restart.

Usually, restarting fixes the problem, but sometimes has to be repeated several times before I can print again. I have deleted and reinstalled the two printers I use and made sure that all printer software and firmware is updated as much as possible for Mojave.

The computer is set to not shut down and to restart early each morning. Other than the printing problem, all is working normally.

I can provide an EtreCheck file if it would be helpful.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 4:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2024 6:03 PM

... and assuming that's the case, it suggests an inability for the app to summon the standard macOS print dialog. I think reinstalling macOS is justified.

Try "Safe Mode" before you do that: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support. Assuming macOS is working properly you ought to be able to print in Safe Mode.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2024 6:03 PM in response to John Galt

... and assuming that's the case, it suggests an inability for the app to summon the standard macOS print dialog. I think reinstalling macOS is justified.

Try "Safe Mode" before you do that: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support. Assuming macOS is working properly you ought to be able to print in Safe Mode.

Oct 10, 2024 12:54 PM in response to John Galt

OK, back at the office and just ran an EtreCheck report. I just noticed that one of my 4 internal hard drives (an older 4 TB drive that I use for Carbon Copy Cloner backups of my main 1 TB SSD drive) has disappeared. Not too surprising, and I do have Time Machine and Backblaze backups of the main drive, so I'm not concerned.)

The main issue continues to be the inability to print from any app as described above. Hopefully, there is something in the report that will point me in a helpful direction.

Thanks!

2009 MacPro running Mojave won't print from any app: spinning beachball

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.