You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Screen Sharing from Somona to High Sierra: alt key and mouse trouble

I'm screen sharing from a Somona Mac Mini (local) via ethernet cable to a High Sierra Mac Mini (remote).

All works fine but this strange problem with keyboard and mouse occurs in at least one program.

Click drag does not work with local mouse.

So I added a wireless mouse to the Remote Mac Mini, then click drag works with this mouse but alt click drag does not work. If I also connect a keyboard to the remote Mac Mini all works but then the whole idea of Screen Sharing to the remote to use the same keyboard and mouse is lost.

Why migh this be happening? Is it common to lose click drag via remote in some applications?

The program is an old synthesizer editor called Nord Modular G2, unavailable on Somona.

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 12:57 PM

7 replies

Oct 3, 2024 12:38 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for testing.

Alt + clickdrag (copy) works nicely in Finder still even for me, but not in the mentioned application.

I tried switching alt and Ctrl modifiers places but that doesn't work (defult can not be changed) when no actual keyboard is connected.

So it's like keyboard and mouse commands enters applications from the system another way than the standard way when using remote screen sharing. At least on old applications like this one. Maybe this is hardcoded into the application somehow, then there's no solution I guess.

Oct 4, 2024 11:49 AM in response to torsig1967

On the HS Mac...

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

We need to see what all is running, a report from this will not display any personal info...

Using EtreCheck - Apple Community

EtreCheck is a FREE simple little diagnostic tool to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac. It will not display any personal info. Give it Full Disk Access.

https://www.etrecheck.com/

Give etrecheck Full Disk Access before running.

Thanks for Old Toad’s etrecheck instructions…

Slow iMac 2017 - Apple Community

Earlier versions of etrecheck...

https://macdownload.informer.com/etrecheck/versions/

Screen Sharing from Somona to High Sierra: alt key and mouse trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.