You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

4 disks called "Creedence Cryptex" appeared on my desktop

After upgrading to Sequoia, I noticed that there are 4 new volume disks on my desktop. They all have the exact same name: "Creedence11M6270.SECUREPKITRUSTSTOREASSETS_SECUREPKITRUSTSTORE_Cryptex", are all the same size/ have the same files, and are APFS format. Can I delete these files? or the duplicates and leave one? Screenshot attached.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 8:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2024 8:38 AM

One of our customers has this issue too, currently in the process of troubleshooting it and so far managed to get rid of the dmg from mounting. Now in the process of figuring out what the source is.

I recommend using this process to figure out which app(s) is/are causing this

Go to your login items (launch daemons) and literally turn off everything that has a slider in the list and once you've done that reboot your Mac. You'll notice that it won't come up anymore.

After that try turning on a handfull of startup apps every time to narrow down which app(s) are causing this to come up.

This will help you find out the reason, since only 1 person is affected from our customer I have asked that person to perform these steps as he's a local admin on his Mac.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2024 8:38 AM in response to laurswan1

One of our customers has this issue too, currently in the process of troubleshooting it and so far managed to get rid of the dmg from mounting. Now in the process of figuring out what the source is.

I recommend using this process to figure out which app(s) is/are causing this

Go to your login items (launch daemons) and literally turn off everything that has a slider in the list and once you've done that reboot your Mac. You'll notice that it won't come up anymore.

After that try turning on a handfull of startup apps every time to narrow down which app(s) are causing this to come up.

This will help you find out the reason, since only 1 person is affected from our customer I have asked that person to perform these steps as he's a local admin on his Mac.

Oct 2, 2024 10:34 AM in response to laurswan1

They are part of the operating system. You won't be able to delete them. You can try dragging the desktop disk imager to the Trash. Hopefully that will unmount it.

I don't know why they are showing up on your desktop. The most likely explanation is some kind of 3rd party system modification app. Such things are extremely popular and extremely problematic.

4 disks called "Creedence Cryptex" appeared on my desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.