You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Notes error at Sequoia

Hi,

After I have updated my MacBook Air M2 to sequoia, the Notes app not working properly.

Before update I had 3 column, left were the folders, middle the notes and right column is the preview, where I could edit notes.

Now I have only 2 column, the right one is disappeared and I can't set it in any settings. Even in Fullscreen the right side is empty.

I can only edit my notes if I double click and open in new window.

What is the problem?

Is there any solution?

Thanks.

It should be like this:

MacBook Air, macOS 15.0

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 12:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2024 2:56 PM

I had this problem and managed to fix it with these steps:

• Quit Notes.
  • Delete this file:
Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Notes.plist

• DO NOT OPEN NOTES. Reboot first, then open Notes.

This fixed the issue for me and I get my Note Pane back. I'd love to hear back if this worked for others.

[Edited by Moderator]

29 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 2, 2024 2:56 PM in response to Chabee66

I had this problem and managed to fix it with these steps:

• Quit Notes.
  • Delete this file:
Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Notes.plist

• DO NOT OPEN NOTES. Reboot first, then open Notes.

This fixed the issue for me and I get my Note Pane back. I'd love to hear back if this worked for others.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 2, 2024 2:06 AM in response to Chabee66

I have just tested in Sequoia, and it is still showing the three panes, and I cannot even find a way to make it look like yours.

All I can suggest for now is to try and delete Notes preference file, and see how that goes (note: this does not delete your notes).

Quit Notes if it is running.

In Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Notes.plist

Drag the file to your desktop

Start Notes again.

A fresh plist file is created.

Is the problem fixed? Fine. Adjust any preferences to your liking and trash the old plist file

If not, and you so desire, you drag the old plist file back, replacing the new one that was automatically created.

Oct 5, 2024 1:51 PM in response to Chabee66

I couldn't find that file in this location,

but I scrolled down further in containers and found three folders named 'Notes'. I followed this part

/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Notes.plist and found the file.

I think it was in the first 'Notes' folder for me. I then followed the same directions to delete it and restart my computer, this worked for me.

Oct 2, 2024 3:12 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

My cleanly installed macOS 15.0 does not have ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Notes.plist either.

FWIW instead there are these three folders here:

/Users/matti/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes

/Users/matti/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes.SharingExtension

/Users/matti/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes.WidgetExtension

Maybe this is the current preference file in the 1st folder:

/Users/matti/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Notes.plist

I'd have an extra backup and (if possible) copy text and other items from Notes to a text editor etc before fiddling with those folders and files. Just in case.

Notes error at Sequoia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.