You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

frame by frame sharper than rendered output

So this is peculiar.

I have project with a lot of compound clips and scaling going on. Mostly it's all working well, but I've noticed that on several of the clips, they are soft on playback. BUT if I go through the timeline frame-by-frame with the arrow key, they are noticeably sharper. as soon as i stop, the current frame goes from sharp to soft. This would not bother me except that it seems the soft version is what I'm getting on export. Does this make sense to anybody as to why this might be? Why is it rendering well frame by frame on-the-fly and then poorly in export?

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 1:37 PM

17 replies

Oct 3, 2024 7:04 AM in response to Javier Bonafont

Did you apply any effect to these text layers?

The "Text" title in the "Basic Text" category has a "title background" layer in the motion template, which means that any effect applied to it in FCP will affect any clip below it in the timeline.

The "Basic Title" in "Bumper/Opener" category does not have it.

Maybe that difference had something to do with the problem.

Oct 1, 2024 3:07 AM in response to Javier Bonafont

It doesn't make sense to me. Obviously when you play back the timeline normally the sharpness can be reduced as the processor tries to keep up but once exported this should not happen.

Could it be that you are watching the frame by frame version on a tiny laptop screen and the exported version on a 60" TV as that will reveal any lack of sharpness not obvious on a small monitor.

Oct 1, 2024 6:32 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Agree. It doesnt make sense at all. And I'm comparing both on a studio display. What is most puzzling is why the frame-by-frame on the viewer looks sharp for half a second, then drops to a lower resolution. This isn't even 4K footage or anything, it's a basic 1080p timeline and export. I don't know any reason that should happen. It's obviously properly rendering the individual frames, but then defaults to lower rez when it rests. I've seen the *reverse* happen a lot, where playback is but when you hit pause it snaps to full rez, but this is the bizarro opposite. It has something to do for sure with the compound clips, but I don't know what.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 2, 2024 1:53 PM in response to Javier Bonafont

FCP's canvas is smaller than your 1080 timeline, so everything will look sharper than full screen.

If you're playing it outside of FCP, be sure you're not playing it with an increased screen size, larger than 1080.

You mention there's a lot of scaling in your compound clips. Scaling up? Because FCP will show that as sharper than it is in a full 1080 size playback. Scaling up can make footage softer once exported.

Oct 2, 2024 2:29 PM in response to BenB

Yeah, thats not the issue, it's definitely soft, not perceived softness, because I'm comparing original footage with the output at the same size. And as I mentioned, it is *sharp* when advancing frame-by-frame, and soft when paused, or in regular playback, or on export.

Interestingly, yesterday on a lark I opened up a snapshot of the project that was about a week older, and on THAT version, this problem does not exist, which is baffling since its barely different beyond some trims. Whatever I did, or whatever happened, is not obvious to me.

Oct 2, 2024 4:39 PM in response to Javier Bonafont

You've been rather cagey about the setup in your storyline and haven't given many specifics.

I am aware of a condition whereby adding certain kinds of Effects to clips that are not the same aspect as the current project will cause softness when scaling down (even though you would expect clips to look sharper scaling down!) Usually, turning off or removing the added Effects, adding those clips to a compound clip, then adding the Effects to the Compound Clip will "cure" the problem. The reason is that CCs will **conform** a clip to the current project size and effects added to the Compound level will behave according to the project settings.

HTH

Oct 3, 2024 6:49 AM in response to Javier Bonafont

SUCCESS.

This makes no sense to me at all, but I found the problem. It was, of all things, a series of *Text Layers* causing this. Normally, I use a Build-In/Out>Custom Text layer as my default, but on this particular compound clip I used the Basic Text>Text layer. Just for kicks to see what the difference was. Well now I know! It's special feature is messing up your footage resolution.

I disabled those text layers and the problem vanished. I rebuilt the text with the Build In/Out text and it works perfectly fine. WHY this was happening is beyond knowing. But I had four text layers and each one was contributing progressively more degradation of the image. Never had that happen, but I've never used the Basic Text presets before.

So I have no idea if this is just a fun one-off on this particular project, but just putting it out there that for this can happen with Basic Text and scaling in compound clips. First and last time using that setting!

Oct 3, 2024 7:41 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

AFAIK no effects were applied on purpose to the text layers, nor were they animated or doing anything beyond sitting there and being scaled along with the rest of the material.

But Yes, I agree it must have something to do with the background setting. I had just assumed it behaved the same as clear alpha, but apparently even if it *seems* invisible, it does interact with other layers unlike the Build In/Out text layers. Definitely not messing with that again when doing comps.

Oct 3, 2024 9:20 AM in response to terryb

Turns out, weirdly enough, that it was using a Basic Text>>Text layer. Deleting that and using a Build-In/Out>Custom Text layer (like I was using everywhere else) solved the problem. I guess the Basic Text has a built in background layer that must have been messing with the render in some way even though it was invisible.

So, problem solved, I think this is some kind of bug, but I know to steer clear of the Basic Text presets in any future comps.

frame by frame sharper than rendered output

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.