You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Manually turn off Airplay on Apple Watch

When I leave home for a run and want to listen to a Podcast on my Apple Watch streaming through my AirPods which are connected over BlueTooth to my Apple Watch, all I get is streaming to our Apple TV / HomePods over AirPlay. There is no option to select the AirPods. Just spoke with Apple Support and they were not able to offer a solution. Once I am far away from home and the watch no longer can reach AirPlay the AirPods start to work.

There must be a way to manually turn off AirPlay on the Apple Watch.

Apple Watch Ultra 2

Posted on Sep 30, 2024 9:41 AM

2 replies

Sep 30, 2024 9:54 AM in response to dieterpaul

dieterpaul wrote:

Once I am far away from home and the watch no longer can reach AirPlay the AirPods start to work.

WiFi range, under ideal conditions, is less than 1000 feet. So, you shouldn't need to be "far" away from home.

There must be a way to manually turn off AirPlay on the Apple Watch.

If you tap the three dots in the upper right corner of the screen when listening to the podcast, you should be able to select the correct output.

Sep 30, 2024 9:59 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

The three dots in the upper right corner only give me Airplay devices in our home. That's what I was going through with Apple Support as well a senior Apple Support guy. Both told that I should be able to select the AirPods in that upper right corner.

In my home the Watch connects to whatever Apple TV is playing over Airplay and allows me to control that TV. Great feature, but I want to be able to turn it off in order to connect the Podcast or Music app to my AirPods.

Manually turn off Airplay on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.